Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added two inch drop spindles and front disc brakes to my 56. The offset is said to be 5/16" on each side. I'd like to now add 17 inch wheels. I think I will go with 7 inch wide rims, as I'm retaining the manual steering and don't want to make it any harder to turn the wheel, as well as allow adequate clearance, especially with the drop spindles. It appears a 4 inch backspacing might be good with the 17"x7" rims. My question now is what size tires will work best with this combination? My current stock wheels and tires measure about 27" in diameter, so I assume I should try to end up with a combination that will come close to that measurement. What are your recommendations?

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Well I run 17's on my 55 and for the fronts I went with a 7“ wheel and the normal 4“b/s. As for tires I run Nitto's 225/50/17, they look great and handle perfectly.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I am in the middle of a rebuild with 2" drop spindles, disc brakes & power steering. I bought 17 x 7 with 4.5" backspace and 225/55 on front. Have not driven but everything cleared in mock up. I kept my front & rear tires close to same diameter so I can use 1 spare tire. Here are some links to check out tire sizes & what's available.

Here is a link to calculate tire size.
http://www.eastcoastchevy.com/Cat51P...20to 236.pdf

link to be able to check out various tire sizes at 1010tires
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

Good Luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just the info I'm looking for. Any idea what diameter your front tires might be? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I run 17's on my 55 and for the fronts I went with a 7“ wheel and the normal 4“b/s. As for tires I run Nitto's 225/50/17, they look great and handle perfectly.
Your car looks great! I'm hoping to achieve a similar stance with my car. I assume you've got power steering?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in the middle of a rebuild with 2" drop spindles, disc brakes & power steering. I bought 17 x 7 with 4.5" backspace and 225/55 on front. Have not driven but everything cleared in mock up. I kept my front & rear tires close to same diameter so I can use 1 spare tire. Here are some links to check out tire sizes & what's available.

Here is a link to calculate tire size.
http://www.eastcoastchevy.com/Cat51P...20to 236.pdf

link to be able to check out various tire sizes at 1010tires
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

Good Luck
Using the links you provided, it appears the 225/55/17 will come very close to the diameter of my existing 15" wheels and tires. Thanks for your help, and good luck with the rest of your build.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
17 .7s all around with 4.5 backspace changing to 4 inch back space[could only get this size in the rims i want]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
17 .7s all around with 4.5 backspace changing to 4 inch back space[could only get this size in the rims i want]
So you think the 4" backspacing will work better than 4.5" with the 17"x7" wheels? Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
So you think the 4" backspacing will work better than 4.5" with the 17"x7" wheels? Thanks for your response.
4" b/s is normal for a 7" wheel and will work fine, I believe that 4.5" would be a custom wheel. Find the wheel you want and see what they offer, but most people use the standard b/s

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
What you need to know here is the actual width of the rim. The "advertised" width is measured across the inside of the tire bead. The "actual" width is measured across the outside of the rim. A 7" wide rim is actually 8" or so wide (give or take a bit for cross-sectional differences in the bead).
That being said, a 7" inch wide wheel is actually 8 inches wide so a 4" back spacing puts the mounting face of the wheel right dead center of the width. This is also called zero offset.
The same wheel, with a 4.5" back spacing will pull the tire/wheel inboard, toward the frame by that extra 1/2".
Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4" b/s is normal for a 7" wheel and will work fine, I believe that 4.5" would be a custom wheel. Find the wheel you want and see what they offer, but most people use the standard b/s
Very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What you need to know here is the actual width of the rim. The "advertised" width is measured across the inside of the tire bead. The "actual" width is measured across the outside of the rim. A 7" wide rim is actually 8" or so wide (give or take a bit for cross-sectional differences in the bead).
That being said, a 7" inch wide wheel is actually 8 inches wide so a 4" back spacing puts the mounting face of the wheel right dead center of the width. This is also called zero offset.
The same wheel, with a 4.5" back spacing will pull the tire/wheel inboard, toward the frame by that extra 1/2".
Mark
Thanks for clarifying. I believe I'll start looking for 225/55/17 tires to go on a 17x7" rim with 4" backspacing.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
man glad you guys clarified this for me i could not get a definite answer on weather the 4inch would be ok was taking a shot in the dark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts