Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a temporary recovery tank with my stock radiator and it seems to work well. It's just ugly and in the way.

I saw this at a show and like how it's behind the radiator, mounts to the stock bracket, and does not take up space

I see this one at Danchuk and it looks like what I'm after.

http://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.asp...Category=ecdc31e5-7a73-4787-b522-2d2e27b33aa2

It's listed as an "overflow" but I see two connections and I'm guess it can be use as an overflow or a recovery tank. Is that correct or am I crazy? Or is there a better one out there?

Thanx :questionmark:

EDIT: I know it's not needed on stock, but it has actually been working very well with the temporary recovery tank. The radiator only spits it out when it's over 90 degrees and sucks it back up when she cools down. It will probably be fine without it, but it won't hurt and it will be cleaner then dumping coolant on the floor.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I thought you did`nt need an overflow tank on a down flow radiator.Correct me if I`m wrong.bowtie-trifive

·
Administrator
49,472 Posts
I thought you did`nt need an overflow tank on a down flow radiator.
Well there is an overflow tube coming out by the neck. So i would rather have any overflow go into a recovery tank than onto the ground.
Terry

·
Registered
37,234 Posts
57borntorun is correct, you don't need a recovery tank with a downflow (stock) radiator. Just run the coolant level 1" - 1-1/2" below the cap. It won't overflow unless you have a boil over. And if that happens regularly, it's probably going to overcome the recovery tank too.

You need one with a crossflow radiator, as you must run the coolant level completely full.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I run the same one you posted but bought it from ecklers, as rick said you don't need one but I run it anyways and it looks good.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I know everyone isn't going to the track,
but just in case... I think it would be a good idea to follow NHRA section 20 1:7 which states
1:7 LIQUID OVERFLOW
All cars in competition with any type of water overflow capable of
spilling water must have a catch can to accumulate the excess
liquids and prevent leaking onto the track. Minimum catch can
capacity: 1 pint. Catch can must be securely fastened; i.e., bolted,
clamped. Overflow may be routed into headers on cars that are
supercharged or burn nitromethane or alcohol.
Just saying couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I use that one now. It works okay, I got mine with a package deal. Prior to that I used a G-body ( 80s Monte Carlos, regal and Olds). It worked as good if not better. Also was cheaper, I found mine at a bone yard. Mounted on the inner fender and fit was good. Just was not as pretty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts