Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 1955 BelAir. The underside of the body and the inside floors are painted red iron oxide. Does anybody know where I can find this paint. I have tried NAPA, Auto Zone, Eastwood, etc. with no luck. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
PPG DPLF74 is close but probably a little bit brighter than the original I've seen. It is an epoxy primer. You probably could mix it with PPG DPLF90 (charcoal gray) to get more correct.

PPG DZ7 "Kondar" primer surfacer is the other way. It's a lacquer type. A bit too dark.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i used to use dupont's corlar red oxide when it was still available. the last car i sprayed that needed red oxide on the bottom, i used the kustom shop hot rod flatz red oxide. it's way to red straight out of the can. i ended up adding green toner to it to brown it up a bit. worked out fairly well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I found this on another site where the painter mixed various amounts of DP74LF red and DP90LF black to get a brown primer that is close to what was used originally on the underbody and floor. The 60% red to 40% black looks pretty close. Once the proper amounts of red and black are mixed add some DP402LF catalyst at a 2:1 ratio (2 parts primer, 1 part catalyst). This is an epoxy primer and should be as tough as nails. If you want to thin it out some you can add some urethane reducer to the mix.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s.../post/1970406/hl/DP74LF/fromsearch/1/#1970406

1 - 7 of 7 Posts