Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could use some advice here... I have a RestoMod '55 Bel Air with a 350 in it and the front coils are sagging badly - probably the original springs. What else should I replace when putting new springs in? Also, should I go with OEM springs or get some that are heavier?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Can you see cracks and splits, in the control arm bushings ? If you think the front end parts are all original, this would be the perfect time, to replace all the ball joints and the mentioned bushings. Maybe even clean up the parts up and paint them. As far as stronger springs, I don't see the need, as there isn't that much difference in weight from stock to your modification.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! The upper bushing seems to be OK but the bottom ones look pretty screwed up; I'll probably do them all since the hard part is getting it all apart...

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,373 Posts
Husker....IMO, your best choice for the ball joints and rubber parts is Moog.....They are available through Rock Auto http://www.rockauto.com/ or your local Advanced Auto Parts dealer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone source a complete kit for this? I don't want to get it apart and then end up missing some 'little' part that holds the whole thing up...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
front replace

Hey are you a real husker? I was born and raised in Columbus. I suggest getting a spring compressor from Eckler's, they work great.Just put a little grease on the pivot and a little on the thread and away uou go. This unit bolts thru the shock holes and will not slip. Evertried puting those inside clamps on? Good luck I tried 10 yrs ago.:anim_25:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm the real deal! President of the TampaBay Huskers alumni chapter & everything! Check us out at www.tampabayhuskers.com Thanks for the advice on the spring compressor. I might have a classic car garage do this...As I remember from working on my 1st one in high school in South Omaha, the bushing need to be pressed in, right?

·
50,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Bushing

Yeh the bushing needs to be pressed out and in. I went to trade school in Omaha in64-65. My nephew was a student trainer on the football and baseball teams in early 90's

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I just replaced the entire front suspension on my 57 (even though I went Gasser with taller springs the parts are the same. Here is a List:
1. Upper and Lower A Arm Bushings, total of 8 bushings, two per arm ( used a little WD-40 and a Big Socket and Hammered mine in..Worked Great!!) The best way to get them out is to use an air impact hammer and that takes them out easy!!
2. Upper and Lower Ball Joints, 2 uppers and 2 lowers
3. Sounds like you need new Coil Springs 1 per side
4. Inner and outer Tie rods, 1 inner and 1 outer per side, total of 4
5. Tie rod adjusting sleves, 1 per side
6. Pitman arm Bushing set (2 Total)
7. Pitman arm rebuild set 1
8. New Shocks if you don't have them, 1 pair

Thats all there is. I also suggest getting the Ecklers coil spring removal tool as it makes it a some what easier job. You can make one using some Threaded Rod and a coupler and an eyelet with a shock bottom but the Ecklers one is far better!! The Hard part will be getting the Old Ball Joint off the Spindle!!! Also make sure you you either take a picture or count and record how many spacers were on each lower A Arm as that will get you in the ball park for your frontend alignment.

·
50,373 Posts

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I bought my kit from Ecklers Chevy. The kit came complete with everything. Ball joints are from china or korea. Look well made. Also came with stock front springs, all rubber parts, idler arm bushings, tie rods and a-frame bushings which I upgraded to polyurethane for an additional sum. US made parts will be more expensive. The whole kit was under 300.00

1 - 14 of 14 Posts