Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two tri fives that are titled and licensed in California. They are both running vehicles. Every year, I just send in my check to California DMV, and they renew my license tags. Are the registration requirements in Arizona just as "easy?" Does anyone know if Arizona exempts these cars from smog checks? When I bring them over and register them, will I run into any problems with smog or any other requirements. I"m just trying to figure out if I have any problems ahead of me if we move. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
Don't know about Arizona but in Tennessee once you get an antique tag, you never have to renew it. Good for as long as you own the car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I moved to PHX from FL. You will have to have go to the MVD verify the VIN's with the CA titles, get AZ titles and regs. You can get an antique tag or regular but will pay every year for regs or every couple years depending on what you choose....and yes you can mail in your payment. Vehicles older than 67 are exempt for emissions. Where are you moving to? Maricopa I believe is the only county that has emissions requirements. You should not have any trouble, as a matter of fact probably less requirements than CA!!!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have two tri fives that are titled and licensed in California. They are both running vehicles. Every year, I just send in my check to California DMV, and they renew my license tags. Are the registration requirements in Arizona just as "easy?" Does anyone know if Arizona exempts these cars from smog checks? When I bring them over and register them, will I run into any problems with smog or any other requirements. I"m just trying to figure out if I have any problems ahead of me if we move. Thanks.
Real easy, of course you'll have out of state inspection to make sure the vin matches your title. I purchased two 57 chevies from California and registered them her in Arizona.
Arizona DMV law is 15 years or older you need not run your car through emissions as long as it is registered and insured as a Classic vehicle and not used as a daily driver. My everyday ride is a 72 chevy truck and I have to get it emissioned evey year. But the 57 will be fine and will not need to be smog checked.
Goodluck!!:wavey:

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
You should not have any trouble, as a matter of fact probably less requirements than CA!!!
Sorry but in California it is 75 and older require no smog and you can drive it every day, also there is no annual safety inspection.
Jim

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. I don't plan to use either as a daily driver, but I certainly want to drive them whenever I want. Is there a mileage restriction that applies to the registration that I have to choose? I will probably insure them as a "classic car" with a mileage restriction, as that's how I have it now. We are moving to Phoenix, so we'll be in Marcopa County. It's pretty easy to register it here in CA, and I don't need to have it smogged. I don't mind getting it inspected for the VIN and title, I just don't want to get hung up on smog, and not be able to drive them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Maricopa and Pima[Tucson] counties require emission testing...for 1967 and newer....unless vechicle has 'speciality car' insurance...1966 and older will need only title transfer [vechicle vin check] and Az registration, as mentioned...the only milage restriction you may encounter will be through certain classic car insurance companies...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Maricopa and Pima[Tucson] counties require emission testing...for 1967 and newer....unless vechicle has 'speciality car' insurance...1966 and older will need only title transfer [vechicle vin check] and Az registration, as mentioned...the only milage restriction you may encounter will be through certain classic car insurance companies...
He's right, the out of state inspection should (as long as your vin is ok) no more than 5-10 minutes. Then every year just mail in your registration. No mileage restriction at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts