Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Where is "SPOOKEY" when you need one?
For those non Nam vets, SPOOKEY was a C-130 with 20MM Gatling guns on each side. It would circle in one direction until it ran out of amo and then circle in the other direction while they reloaded. It would put a 1 bullet every square inch. Talk about lighting them up.
Fun and games!!
Jeffrey
67-68 101st ABN.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Where is "SPOOKEY" when you need one?
For those non Nam vets, SPOOKEY was a C-130 with 20MM Gatling guns on each side. It would circle in one direction until it ran out of amo and then circle in the other direction while they reloaded. It would put a 1 bullet every square inch. Talk about lighting them up.
Fun and games!!
Jeffrey
67-68 101st ABN.
Maybe orginally a C47 transport with 7.62 miniguns or AC-47 with similar results.

·
Registered
899 Posts
wow, that probably took care of the mosquito problems also. unreal. I wasn't there but it must have been hell. thanks for the info. jeff

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
BBpanel, Spookey and Puff the Magic dragon same same. I stand correct they were C-47 aircraft. Also had Jolly Green Giants, Chinooks with similar armament.
Jeffrey

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Maybe orginally a C47 transport with 7.62 miniguns or AC-47 with similar results.
I know Spooky was pretty bad ass back in the day and just the sound of it sent Charlie running for his hole in the ground but these new C-130 Specter guns ships are unbelievable. Being a military defense contractor I get to see a lot of hardware up close and personal, glad we have what we have to help our troops.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
At our base in Can Tho we had a Hewy with BIG lights and another Hewy with twin 50s on it .When he opened up those 50s it would push it backwards...The pilots would sleep in them so they would be ready to launch in seconds.We also had some small Loach s that had some big guns.... :gba:check out the top pict. It has one on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
67,715 Posts
:gba::flag6::tu

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chinooks

:gba:
I'm still amazed by the lifting (Tanks) power of those Chinooks!

I went down in a Huey, Dec. 70'.
US Army LRRP-Ranger (I Corps)... Nam' 1/69 - 12/70

1 - 16 of 16 Posts