Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I'm cleaning up my engine compartment and want to relocate my MSD box. I'm thinking somewhere in the interior. Any suggestions?

I have a Gen III Vintage Air unit, so I need to take that into consideration.

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Depending on your distributor, you might have to route those away from others to get inside. I was getting RF signal interference and causing a erratic timing problem. My AMX has no heater so I put it in that location as well as my coil to clean the engine compartment. Problem is if I need to get at it. With a seat and roll cage, it's near impossible. Hind sight, I should have left it where I could get to it.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Just a thought??? The Fuse block is on the drivers side.. why not put the MSD box under the dash on the Passenger side..just above the kick panel (like the Fuse box on the Drivers side).
Just an idea!

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a thought??? The Fuse block is on the drivers side.. why not put the MSD box under the dash on the Passenger side..just above the kick panel (like the Fuse box on the Drivers side).
Just an idea!
That is one of the locations I am considering.

The others are (a) under the bench seat; or (b) high up in the driver's side wheelwell.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Just asking, but doesn't the manufacturer recommend having those boxes installed someplace where there is ample air flow?? Cooling purposes?? I don't think I would enclose it some place without the airflow, Carmine.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just asking, but doesn't the manufacturer recommend having those boxes installed someplace where there is ample air flow?? Cooling purposes?? I don't think I would enclose it some place without the airflow, Carmine.
Carmine,

Point well taken, but the instructions say to not install it in a small enclosed space, like the glove compartment; otherwise, there are no other restrictions.

·
Registered
748 Posts
MSD's like to be cool and dry, and to have great ground and real/direct connection to a battery.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**UPDATE**

The MSD box now resides just above the passenger side kick panel.

The engine compartment clean-up that precipitated this move (and the battery relocation I discussed in another thread) is now mostly complete, and I'm pretty happy with the results. The final step will be later this year when i re-install the Vintage Air heater/evaporator and finish the AC installation.

It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than before.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
If your ground works loose at all it will cost you that MSD box. Double ground it ito avoid a pricey mistake. I talk from experiance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts