Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 55 belair how do you take that damn thing off i did everything i could ended up bending an twisting the plastic housing off now i have the metal skeleton an there loos to be some kind of metal plug where the new handle has the Alan set screw.... how do i get this off cant grab it {plug} an pull not enough too get a bite on.. cany un screw it ...stumped... please any help :p3:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
i have a 55 belair how do you take that damn thing off i did everything i could ended up bending an twisting the plastic housing off now i have the metal skeleton an there loos to be some kind of metal plug where the new handle has the Alan set screw.... how do i get this off cant grab it {plug} an pull not enough too get a bite on.. cany un screw it ...stumped... please any help :p3:
To remove the handle, drive the pin all the way in to the shaft. The pin is shorter than the diameter of the shaft. Then remove the metal skeleton. With the skeleton off, you can drive the pin out of the shaft and either drive it in the new handle or use the set screw. You may need a helper to back up the shaft when driving the pin in or out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was in the same boat last month. Beating on that pin with a punch didn't set well with me so I used a factory tool from a VW dealership that drives out door hinge pins and machined a pin for it. Worked to get the pin pushed in but the metal "cap" was still firmly stuck on the e-brake shaft. I had to use a mini hack-saw and cut a slit up the side of the cap and really pry that dude off. The point of this tale is that it might not be as simple as rapping on it with a punch. Good luck on you. :)

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
I was in the same boat last month. Beating on that pin with a punch didn't set well with me so I used a factory tool from a VW dealership that drives out door hinge pins and machined a pin for it. Worked to get the pin pushed in but the metal "cap" was still firmly stuck on the e-brake shaft. I had to use a mini hack-saw and cut a slit up the side of the cap and really pry that dude off. The point of this tale is that it might not be as simple as rapping on it with a punch. Good luck on you. :)
Thats a great idea, I found that a nail the size of the pin usually gets them out :anim_25:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts