Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the left front coil spring due to damage on my newest project, 1957 Chevy 150. I totally understand removal of the coil spring can definately be a dangerous procedure.

So I’m asking if this tool would do the job along with my floor jack.

i’ve searched and read other threads with numerous tools and end results, like buying bolts and nuts from home depot...

·
Administrator
48,509 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,780 Posts
i thought of the single bolt and wish i had a lowe’s or home depot within 75 miles.., single rod would definately be more effective.

pops, that spring compressor tool is way too expensive.....

i’ll keep looking.

thanks for your input:tu
Do you have a Tractor Supply? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/national-hardware-4000bc-5-8-in-x-11-x-36-in-threaded-rod-zinc?cm_vc=-10005

You can order from Home depot or Lowes also.

There's not room to get the outside compressors on the springs and they tend to slide down the coils also.

·
Administrator
48,509 Posts
i thought of the single bolt and wish i had a lowe’s or home depot within 75 miles.., single rod would definately be more effective.

Gary....Are there not any hardware stores near you at all?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Spring removal is easy and a spring compressor is not needed. Jack up car and remove wheel. Remove shock. remove cotter pin and loosen castellated nut on ball stud.
Put jack under lower control arm and remove nut on ball stud. slowly lower lower control arm until the spring pops out . This only works on a completed car with power train installed

Spring is only dangerous when it is fully compressed, but use caution

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David, that bearing idea is very impressive, it reduces a lot of friction.
Check out the instructions link, Gary, you can order parts on line.
obviously i know ordering online is an option, but i prefer to buy it in person.. we have 2 hardware stores, 1 is out of stock of the large bolts, the other doesn’t have much...

i’ll end up driving to Lowe’s next week..:tu

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spring removal is easy and a spring compressor is not needed. Jack up car and remove wheel. Remove shock. remove cotter pin and loosen castellated nut on ball stud.
Put jack under lower control arm and remove nut on ball stud. slowly lower lower control arm until the spring pops out . This only works on a completed car with power train installed

Spring is only dangerous when it is fully compressed, but use caution
thanks Topdog. my 57 Chevy is a roller presently....

·
Registered
35,329 Posts
Topdog's method does not work with a heavy duty spring. It is marginal and extremely dangerous even with a standard spring. It only works safely with a cut down or lowering spring - but only if the spring is short enough. PLEASE don't take the safety risk!

Also if you make or use the home made spring compressor - never ever let the all thread touch the frame or get loaded in bending. The load on it must always be pure tension. The all thread will fail if side loaded or bent. Use the procedure in the shop manual. You can't just swing the lower control arm on it's shaft - you must remove the inner shaft bolts as well as the ball joint. A coil spring unleashed can kill or maim you, take it seriously.

·
Administrator
48,509 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
dont you have a parts store near by

usually the auto part stores have loner tools..
like spring compressor bearing pullers etc...
they usually just hold a deposit on your credit card
and refund the money back when tool get returned back....:)

·
Premium Member
12,336 Posts
Gary,
I have one of those tools almost exactly like the one that Pops gave the link for. I live only a couple hundred miles south of you in between Sac and SF. I'd be willing to let you borrow it if you'd be willing to pay for shipping back and forth. Just lemme know, and be patient a little bit because I work all week, and shipment would have to be on my time off.

It looks just like Pops example. Sorry I can't post a pic, because I still haven't figured out how to load pics onto my laptop. Just like this one from Pops link though, and a pretty neat tool,

·
Administrator
48,509 Posts
dont you have a parts store near by...usually the auto part stores have loner tools..like spring compressor bearing pullers etc...
Their loaner spring compressors will most likely not be the type that go down through the center of the spring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rebuilt my front suspension last winter and agree with the majority responses - either buy or make the tool. It's the only safe way to do the job. You'll appreciate it most on the reassembly when you see how compressed the spring needs to be to get the ball joints into the knuckle. Take your time and no shortcuts - you want north/south tension on the rod, no lateral. It's not hard, but don't sacrifice safety.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gary, I think those coil spring compressors you showed in your first post are for use with strut type coil springs (late model stuff). Outside of the coils. You definitely need one that goes through the center.

·
Administrator
48,509 Posts
Gene...Your lik went to the website home....But, this must be it:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts