Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to remove body filler? blasting?

How about with out blasting???
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just grind it out. blasting will not be effective or quick.
JMO

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about paint removers of some kind?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
How about paint removers of some kind?
Sandblasting won't do much good. I hate grinding it because of the dust, unless it's a small amount. I use aircraft paint stripper to soften it and scrap it off with a putty knife.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping for a stripper like aircraft would work I too dont like to clean up the blasting or sanding mess.
Will the torch idea work easy or will it heat the metel up and possibly warp it?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,532 Posts
if you have the bondo exposed hit it with some brake cleaner . it will soften it up and make it come off pretty easy .

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Ive used a wire wheel or wire cup brush on the end of my 6 inch angle grinder. It does create dust but it doesn't seem to heat the surrounding metal up enough to destort any of it. I hate it when you discover body filler.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
do not heat it with the torch. the idea is to pull the solvents out and turn it to powder. just a pass or two over it then hit it with a welders brush.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If do not heat with a torch what do you pass over it before you hit it with the brush

do not heat it with the torch. the idea is to pull the solvents out and turn it to powder. just a pass or two over it then hit it with a welders brush.
Do you pass over it with the torch or with something else before you hit it with a welders brush?

Also, what if the "Bondo's" been on the panel fer 40 years or so...ain't the solvent gone by now?

Cheers

Larry

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
your not really heating it. running the torch across it burns off solvents and drys it up. it doesn't take much each pass. after the first pass you'll see what it's doing. comes off easy with a brush and putty knife . best way i found until i put in my blasting booth .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Okay, that's what I thought you ment but wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the clarification!

Cheers

Larry.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks all I will be trying this hopefully this weekend and will let you know

1 - 15 of 15 Posts