Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 55 has been sitting in the garage out of action for about a year waiting for me to get time (and space) to swap motors.

Anyhow, mice have made a nice house in my car and I can't get rid of the smell. I removed all the visible feces and gave the Interior a good Vacuuming. I also used a highly concentrated mix of Simple green on all the metal surfaces(dash) and the vinyl portions of the seats. I've also used about a whole bottle of febreze on all the fabrics and carpet. Its a big improvement, but I still have the sickening smell of the mouse in the car though. I haven't shampooed the carpet yet, but I'm not sure if that is where the smell is emanating from.

Any suggestions on what else I could try? I've seen a bunch of threads on the web of people with this issue, but haven't seen much on how to deal with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I know your pain. They got into my 56 and my chevelle and died there. What a mess. Im trying to figure out the same thing. Fabreeze just dont cut it.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Four or five years ago mice got in and ate the stuffing from my seats and went into the trunk and did #1&#2 all over everything... I ended up throwing everything in the trunk away including the trunk mat and replacing the upholstrey... An ounce of prevention etc. etc.... Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
If you have any type of padding under the carpet the odor might still be coming from that.

·
Administrator
49,959 Posts
I`m afraid the only way you will get rid of that smell is to redo the interior. Once they have left their smell in the stuffing it is there until the stuffing is gone.
Terry

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Try one of the air freshner cans they use in the hospitals they are commercial grade with a very strong cherry scent. I had to use one in my work truck after a fueling up disaster which is a long story and to keep it short the break away on the hose did just that while we were pumping disel fuel in my truck and my drivers door was open. My buddy owns a body shop and he cleaned it all up for me the disel was 2 " deep in the floor of my cab. After removing every thing he used that air freshener and we left it under the seat for a couple weeks and it took care of the odor. Before you couldnt even stand to set in the truck for any length of time especially if the heater was on.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'd pull the seats, carpet and padding out of there and try shampooing like you mentioned out of the car, replace if necessary, clean the metal floors and trunk, also check your vents and heater core areas. hopefully, they didn't crawl up in there and die, they are be pesky little critters and like dark warm places.

:anim_25:

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,611 Posts
Oh man that stinks:D

We have that happen all the time at our driver training cars while parked over winter. Try a ton of baking soda dumped into the carpets and seats if cloth. Work it in real good and let it sit that way for a week or two. Then vacuum the heck out of it, it doesn't get it all, but gets it pretty good and then time will work the rest out. Also for the future you can dump baking soda in the cars to keep the mice out, they don't like it at all:tu

Randy

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,537 Posts
I went to the pet supply ( petsmart etc.) and got some NATURES MIRACLE. follow the instructions . worked well for me

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Go to the drugstore and ask for oil of wintergreen. Mix it in a spray bottle to where you can smell it a little, not to strong though.We used it for skunk before and it gets rid of it quite well. make certain your spray is a mist though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't forget to check the head liner that is where my mouse nest was.
Good Luck

Go to the drugstore and ask for oil of wintergreen. Mix it in a spray bottle to where you can smell it a little, not to strong though.We used it for skunk before and it gets rid of it quite well. make certain your spray is a mist though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think any of the above options will be great, along with getting it out into the open air. But if it was me, id probebly tear up alot of the fabric thats been saturated, just as a health precaution.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My 55 had apparently been sitting for awhile before I bought it 3 years ago. The seats were shot (and are being reupholstered now) but I found the padding EVERYWHERE! Apparently my car was home to many generations of mice! First things first, make sure you get them all out. I found my vents stuffed with seat padding, as well as in the doors, frame and apparently exhaust pipes - as when I got the engine running earlier this year, there was a bunch of padding behind the car.
I've heard many say, but haven't got to yet, the headliner. The green won't be staying in the future grey/white interior, so I'll have a look there in a year or two.

·
Registered
647 Posts
:bowtieb: I have used charcoal bricquets before with good results also. Just let them sit in the area open and they will absorb allot of the smells.

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
had it happen in the tow vehicle for our motor home. it still smells after we cleaned and powerwashed the interior. they got into the ducks and vents.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i have tried everything in one of my car. natures miracle did nothing. i have ahd the best luck with arm and hammer laudry detergent. soap it in and , let sit and wash out. the other thick is really low tech. it may ruin what you have. use regular dirt. put it on there and let it sit. the bacteria eats everything organic . then clean. the dirt method will take a few weeks.ive done this and it really works.

·
Registered
488 Posts
ok please be very careful !!! my mother died after cleaning up after mice dropping, she did have a cold but because her respitory was weak she ened up in the hospital and passed away 2 weeks later. please make sure to wear a mask, a good one and make sure to spray it down with vinegar, so it does not get airborn, the hospital said she died from adlult respitory distress syndrome.

please do not take this as lite chit chat.

·
Registered
784 Posts
SunTan 57, Sorry about your Mom. Thank you very much for sharing this fact about mouse droppings and respiratory complications. Many of us have cars that we are restoring with mouse droppings in various compartments. I would not have thought about using some kind of respiratory protection for cleaning it out if you did not mention it. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts