Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to have the car blasted, or dipped, but after gutting the interior it appears to be than I expected regarding rust , so I decided I would take on the striping job myself, one part at a time. I removed the left front fender, a small amount of surface rust on the inside, the outside had a small dent at the lower rear, and someone just filled it with lead, I heated up the lead, it's gone, a little hammer and dolly and most of the dent is gone, the inside I sanded, wire wheel and everything else to clean off the rust, some areas are impossible to get to, so will epoxy primer be ok to spray the inside and outside including the small amount of rust, or is there a better way?. Thanks Ron

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I am not a body man so I am sure you will get better answers, being that said, if their is rust you can't get out than I suggest por15

It can be bruched on and I think sprayed.

Otis:)

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I second Otis. I POR15'd the back side of almost every panel in my 55. The most fun part was inside the quarters while laying on my back and reaching up in there with a brush. I tied a rag around my wrist to keep it from running down my arm. Just as soon as you get done using it, wipe the part you get on your skin off with laq. thinner. If you don't, it has to wear off :)

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Ron
For the most part you have to neutralize the rust . If you can get hold of a small blaster to clean the small area's but if not the old rule of thumb is "if you can shut off the oxygen you will stop or slow down the rust" there fore if they are hard to reach area's and they are on the rear inside were no one will ever see you could pour the chemical in by holding the fender in a position that will ony allow it to direct it self into the affected area. I beleive with por15 you can reduce a percentage of it to make it a little more runnier . But I believe an epoxy applied in the same manor may slow the oxidation down greatly. Now Im a PPG die hard but if por15 is not your cup of tea I would get Duponts Vari prime part # 615/616 it is a 2 part and works very well . BUT WEAR A MASK. This stuff is potent but that is what makes it work . Hope this was helpfull keep us posted and think saftey. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of using POR15, can you paint over it with say PPG Epoxy Primer, then base coat over that? I am trying to have the inside of the fenders look finished, thanks Ron

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Ron
Yes you can paint over por15 as far as I know . and DP epoxy will stick to about anything . If you go over that with a filler primer it should smooth out nicely and give you a nice base to seal over and B.C. paint. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Make sure you read the time frame for all the steps if you plan to paint over por15. You only have 24 hours to to do the prep and prime or it will look like wrinkle finish. Phosphoric acid is the base for por15 . There are a lot of other products that make use of it in different ways . Other than battery boxes por15 doesn't do what most show car painters expect . Try sanding a the surfare of Por15 after 1 week it is ultra hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hard to reach areas

Hi : Here is a way you would never think of but worked great for me. I used spray on bed liner on all the hard to reach areas, the under side of the floor and inside the fender well, then used epoxy primer over that, and base cleared with paint. Gave everything a real nice textured look and should be very durable. ( But will find out in time on that)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Call POR-15 they have a great tech line and you can paint over it. I think its about 4 hours after the second coat is what they recomend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts