Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Does anyone know if there is any type of polish that will remove scratches from glass? I've got what looks like a swirl scratch from a sanding pad on the lower part of my rear glass. Has anyone ever tried to polish out a scratch from glass? Can it be done? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have seen a glass polisher disk that would fit a 1/4'' die grinder. I comes with compounds and the disk. I have never heard of anyone using one though. I was told but someone that steel wool would also remover scratches. Again, no first hand expirence.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may try the steel wool. Seems counter intuitive to fix a scratch with a scratch, but I've used steel wool to clean up a lot of things, so it might just work. Thanks. Anyone else heard of or used a polish, perhaps after the steel wool?

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice. I did find the glass polishing kit in the Eastwood catalog, and I might give that a try. If I do, I'll let you know how it worked. Thanks

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Removing Scratches from Glass

Thought I would chime in here since I tried the Eastwood kits a while back. My front windshield is over 30 years old - and has one of every kind of defect. It was my hope to delay doing new for a few years.
The eastwood kit that has synthetic pads and works like a sanding disc to go after deep scratches works - but distortion was impossible to avoid for me. The polisher with the felt pad works well on anything you cannot feel (say haze). Small stone pecks that start to make the glass look like it was sandblasted did not respond to either for me.
Don't get me wrong - the instructions were clear that the above would probably happen, so I was not surprised. Just be aware that if there is a defect the surface is no longer flat and nothing you can do can make it flat. You will see distortion.
The local shop around my place says $300 will get me a new windshield installed, so for my 20 footer I think I will go that way when I get the cash.

Ben

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the additional comments. My glass, front and back, is in pretty good shape...I just have this swirl in the lower corner of the rear glass. I think I should go with the "deep scratch" product, since the swirl is more than just haze. Even if I get some distortion, it shouldn't matter, since that portion of the rear glass is not used for viewing. It's just that I want to remove the white swirl, so it looks better. Glad to hear someone has had experience with the Eastwood products. Once I have a minute, I'll order it and give it a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts