Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I have a small leak in my canister. Is there any way to get it out without removing 1/2 the front end?:p3:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,739 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have a small leak in my canister. Is there any way to get it out without removing 1/2 the front end?:p3:
If memory serves me right, on a 55 the left hood hinge has to be removed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine's a 56, so it will probably be the same. Any ideas on how to support the hood while I do it? Sounds like a 2 man job at least.

·
51,739 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thing they repop the 55-6 tank. As soon as the new one arrives I'll call in a few favors. Thanks guys!

·
51,739 Posts
Good thing they repop the 55-6 tank. As soon as the new one arrives I'll call in a few favors. Thanks guys!
Maybe just unbolting the hinge from the firewall will do it....Try that first.

·
51,739 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Original power brake system used the vac tank . Dave's right ; just unbolt the hood hinge at the firewall and hold the hood up with a web strap to the garage ceiling or the boom of the cherry picker . I'd use a padded block to keep the hood from swinging and doing any paint/body/windshield damage too . You're still standing on your head to pull the vac canister though . Be safe...Bob.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I originally posted this topic, I was hoping I could get away with just unbolting the hinge at the firewall so I didn't have to play with all the alignment issues caused by removing the hood completely. I was hoping to pad the firewall and block up the driver's corner of the hood and prop up the center of the hood in the front at the latch. I already tried to seal the leak with JB weld on the bottom seam and around the bases of the mounting bolts but no luck.
With the canister unbolted I can move it around quite a bit but, I'm pretty sure the whole hinge has to come off to remove the tank.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, the new vacuum tank came last night and I decided to try this myself. I propped the hood as high as I could and supported the driver's side corner with high density foam and lots of thick blankets. Unbolted the tank, marked the hinge locations on the hood, firewall and hinge then unbolted the hinge and disconnected the tank from the wheel well. Hood isn't going anywhere so I figured I was home free, WRONG! No matter what way I turn the old tank, it won't come out. Do I have to unbolt the tredlevac? Any ideas would be a great help.

·
51,739 Posts
Cheviac.....I contacted Bruce (TheHotrodHandyman) via PM.....Help should be on the way, when he reads the PM.....Been a while, since I did mine.

·
Premium Member
15,913 Posts
Do yourself and your paint a favor and have a new tank ready to go before you dig into this. Start by removing the vac hose from your existing tank and unbolting it from the wheel well, Bolts inside the tire well area. Now that the tank is completely disconnected from your car you need to prop up the front of the hood assuming you are doing this alone. Once the hood is propped up in the front put a piece of masking tape on the hinge where it bolts to the firewall between the two bolts. Put another piece of tape on the firewall immediately next to the hinge. Using a marker put a straight line across the two pieces of tape, This will give you the reference you need when you put it back together and have the hinge at least very close to where it was before you started. Next you want to loosen (1 turn) both of the hinge to firewall bolts. Have a few rags around to cover the corner area before you go to the next step just in case the hood drops it won't ruin your paint. Remove the lower hinge bolt and set it within your reach. Put all the tools and the new tank within your reach also. Now while holding the hood corner so there is no load on the remaining hood hinge remove the upper hinge bolt, Be careful since the hood is going to want to drop. Now that the hinge is disconnected from the car lift the hood only high enough to reach in and remove the old tank and slip the new tank in the correct spot. Put the top hinge bolt back in place to secure the hood & hinge. Line up your tape marks and tighten the hinge bolts. You should be good to go on reconnecting the tank. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
15,913 Posts
OK, the new vacuum tank came last night and I decided to try this myself. I propped the hood as high as I could and supported the driver's side corner with high density foam and lots of thick blankets. Unbolted the tank, marked the hinge locations on the hood, firewall and hinge then unbolted the hinge and disconnected the tank from the wheel well. Hood isn't going anywhere so I figured I was home free, WRONG! No matter what way I turn the old tank, it won't come out. Do I have to unbolt the tredlevac? Any ideas would be a great help.
I just changed one about a month ago and did not have to remove the treadle vac.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can't see what I'm doing wrong. Are you telling me the tank just slipped out under the treadle vac and power steering lines? Did you remember how you rotated the tank?

·
Premium Member
15,913 Posts
Can't see what I'm doing wrong. Are you telling me the tank just slipped out under the treadle vac and power steering lines? Did you remember how you rotated the tank?
Don't remember exactly how I rotated the tank but it did come out, Not easy but it did. Thats why I said make sure you have everything you need within reach once you start. Worst case mark the hinge the same way I described earlier at the hood and unbolt it from the hood to give you a bit more room.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did all that, have the hinge off, and the old tank free. Do you recall if you went under the treadle vac? I'm making a mess of the paint on the booster side and wheel well. This is a 56. I know 57s are easier. Was yours a 57?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts