Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble removing top windshield stainless and entire back window stainless surround on on '57 2 door HT. I got all the doglegs and lower windshield stainless off but am stuck. Help! - car to go to body shop on Monday!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just did some research on the site. I understand that the windshield and back glass have to be removed before you can remove the top stainless. Is that right?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
To remove the upper windshield stainless you must first remove the windshield and rubber gasket from the car.

To remove the rear glass stainless you need to remove some interior trim to access two small nuts that hold the small upper corner pieces in. Once the corner pieces are out you will need a special tool to release the clips holding the stainless down. After all the stainless is off you can remove the back glass.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Farm Boy. I thought as much about the windshield. I knew there was that special tool for the rear which I have ordered (but is not arriving!) and wondered if there were any alternatives for the rear without risking kinking. I suspect not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, Farm Boy. I thought as much about the windshield. I knew there was that special tool for the rear which I have ordered (but is not arriving!) and wondered if there were any alternatives for the rear without risking kinking. I suspect not.
You might be able to use an ice pick bent slightly on the end. Be careful.
Slide the tip inside the reveal moulding along until you hit a pinch weld clip and rattle it a little. Might work.

I would rather use the right tool, but, sound like your in a time constaint.
SS

·
Administrator
49,350 Posts
Chum on the rear glass if you are replacing the rubber channel any way, just cut the rubber from the inside and outside and you can get to the clips without the tool. I cut the rubber with a utility knife.
Terry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts