Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on whether to go with the repair patch panel in the area down below the taillight or go with the full repro panel that matches up with the factory seams up above the taillight. Resto World sells the patch panel for $89 and the full panel for $149:

Here's what I'm working on:

Anyone have any experience with these pieces? I've got a trunk floor and inner quarters from a parts car along with a new tail panel that are going in.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I would remove the paint and see how much bondo is under the taillights first. You may have more than rust damage under there. You don't have to use all the full panels, if the metals good around the tail light.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I need some advice on whether to go with the repair patch panel in the area down below the taillight or go with the full repro panel that matches up with the factory seams up above the taillight. Resto World sells the patch panel for $89 and the full panel for $149:

Anyone have any experience with these pieces? I've got a trunk floor and inner quarters from a parts car along with a new tail panel that are going in.

Thanks,
Jim
I had a very good bodyman/metalworker install the short patch panel on my car. This patch panel was so bad that he had to really re-work it to match it to the existing metal. The area where the weather strip sits was all wrong and so was the radius that is supposed to match the rounded trunk corner.

If I was doing a repair in that area again I would probably try the full one, but I don't really know if they are any better.

Ernie

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. I just got finished cutting out the inner quarters and the full panel is what I'll wind up going with.

Jim

·
Registered
235 Posts
Here's just a few pics of my repair. I woild say use the full piece on yours. You can see I used the lower piece and I had to tweak this piece alot to make it fit. These piece's fit really bad. I was lucky and mine wasn't that bad so I just cut out what I needed. I'm trying to find more pics of the other side which was worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pictures, especially where you show the lower trunk wall coming in behind it. There wasn't much metal remaining in that area on mine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Here's a few more pics of the other side. You can see the piece was cut wrong from the previous owner. Instead of buying a new piece like an idiot I decided to try and make this piece work. There was a lot of extra time and suffering to make this work but I think I did okay. These pieces do not fit well and I did a lot of hammering to make it come out close to original. I would go with the full piece if I were you..... Oh, as if you couldn't tell I am nowhere near a pro. I learned from this website and this was my first repairs. A pro probably would have bought a new piece......Good luck and keep us posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Go with the full panel.Your rust-line goes too high.You could prob. get enough to weld to with a patch,but the rust is higher than you can see.Later down the line it will show up as stains and bubbles just above the patch panel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts