Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 57 2 door sedan was repainted in the early '80's with Dupont Lucite and now has a few small areas needing repair. I am wondering if it's worth the effort to stay with acrylic lacquer in doing these "blends" (non-metallic original color), or if I could get just as good a result with a more modern product.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Don

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do you have access to some lucite? Lacquer Is no longer availble here(my wife sell dupont here) and the new paints are catalized so they will not work blending into lacquer with good reasults. If your paint is in good shape and you can do your blends then try it out as lac. is not a catalized system and the new will melt right in to the old. If your paint is not in good shape then strip it off and start over. I would not paint over a lac. finish with new catalized systems. I would recommend you strip the old lac. off first. We cant even get tints for anything lacquer. AAlways remeber to stay with one system when shooting and dont cross systems...ie lac. and enamel , etc. Bad results may happen. Just my thoughts. I hope I dint confuse anyone as I dont quite explain things clearly.:D Tim

·
Registered
36,134 Posts
With a 25 year old paint job, it will have to be in really good shape and have been stored indoors most of the time in order to match the paint. And you'll have to source the original Dupont paint.

I doubt that you can match with another system.

A solid color will be easier than metallic but it still won't be a snap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips! Hibernia looks like an amazing source. Now I'm charged up to get out the gun and see if spraying lacquer comes back to me or not!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts