Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a power brake kit, so I have disc on the front and drums on the rear, which now has new wheel cylinders.
I noticed a black fitting with a cap on the master, is this for vacumn off the carb?
I bled all four corners, started at rear untill no bubbles where in in bleeder, and fluid in master was allways replaced before it ran low.
Problem is the pedal is a little firmer but I can still push all the way down without to much effort. Does the engine need to be running, and vacumn installed to get better brake or pedal pressure? Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
The answer to your specific question is no... you do not need the engine running to get a good pedal.

The black fitting on the master you are referring to... not sure what it is if it is on the master cylinder. Maybe what you are referring to is on the vacuum booster which will be between the master cylinder and the firewall.

Most likely you have air still in your brake system. When you installed the calipers on the front did you install them with the bleeder valve at the top or the bottom? If at the bottom you probably won't get them bled properly as air will be trapped in the top.

If you have the bleeder at the top then you still need to do some more bleeding as most likely you still have air in the system.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Purchased a power brake kit, so I have disc on the front and drums on the rear, which now has new wheel cylinders.
I noticed a black fitting with a cap on the master, is this for vacumn off the carb?
I bled all four corners, started at rear untill no bubbles where in in bleeder, and fluid in master was allways replaced before it ran low.
Problem is the pedal is a little firmer but I can still push all the way down without to much effort. Does the engine need to be running, and vacumn installed to get better brake or pedal pressure? Thanks
Started on the rear..Which wheel? You start with the wheel furthest from the Master. As for bench bleeding the master..Probably 1/2 of us(me included) think that it must be BENCH bled and 1/2 of us say that doing it on the car works just as well.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,383 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,383 Posts
Pops how thick is your plate? I am going to machine shop tommorow and get one. Thanks
The one I have now is 1/4" aluminum....A little thicker is okay as well, of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.