Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Completely stock 55 265 V8 4bbl. I replaced the intake gaskets, etc. I tried to find a new intake gasket set that had everything I needed, but I ended up using an NOS set my friend Lance had.

I finally got everything put back together, but it will not start and I get a lot of backfiring. I thought I was very careful with the dist removal and reinstall, marking the positions of the rotor on the firewall. I've checked the relative position of the rotor vis-a-vis the #1 post on the dist cap, and in relation to the timing mark and it looks dead on. Is it possible I have the dist in 180 degrees off? Would that cause the massive backfires?

Any ideas? TIA.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,789 Posts
Steve.....Souds more like one tooth off one way or the other.....Did you remove the plug wires from the distributor cap, during the installation?

Years ago, my dad (may he RIP) taught me how to time a car:

1. Remove coil wire and #1 spark plug
2. Put your middle finger in the spark plug hole, while an assistant bumps over the starter.
3. When the compression blows your finger off, you're close to TDC
4. See where the timing mark on the dampner is in relation to the indicator on the timing chain cover and align to zero degrees by hand.
5. Your rotor should now be pointed to #1 on the distributor cap....If not, turn distributor or move wires to their proper location.
6. Tighten down distributor and cap
7. Replace coil wire and #1 spark plug
8. Should fire right up now!

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
Yes, that is a symptom of 180 off. In any event remove the #1 plug and disconnect the lead to the coil. Bump the engine over until you feel air coming out of the plug hole, then turn the engine by hand until the timing marks are close to 0. That is #1 firing position. A helper is a good thing to have. Let us know what you find, good day.

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Well? Do I need to come over?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got it running again after a lot of trial and error, thanks to my neighbor and TriFive member Nick Prime.

Found the dist was installed 180 degrees off. Got that corrected, but still had a slight misfire. Replaced plugs, no change. Replaced plug wires, runs smooth as glass.

Thanks TriFive members and to Nick especially!:tu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts