Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wrenches say it needs a frame. There are many choices and none of them are inexpensive.

I'd like to get this choice right the first time. Any opinions you would like to share?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Frame

My understanding is that all the '57 frames were the same, so you should be able to find a frame, unless ,of course you're building a restomod and have your mind convinced you want a big buck aftermarket.

Joe

·
Registered
643 Posts
The wrenches say it needs a frame. There are many choices and none of them are inexpensive.

I'd like to get this choice right the first time. Any opinions you would like to share?
If you want to have less trouble find a 4dr hardtop frame, they are not the same as the other 57 frames. Lets say you found a frame from a 2dr it can be changed over to a 4dr hardtop frame if you know what to look for. It is not all that hard.
Larry
PS I have taken a 4dr hard top frames and turned it into a 2dr frames
call me and I can tell you what you have to do 850 929 2438
Is your stock frame rusted out?? or what!!!

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
It's just the body mounts and exhaust hangers that are different, right?

But yes, the basic frames are the same.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Nope they are not the same. the center mount is different on 4 ht. This is what the center post mounts to so its longer. I was told they was the same till I got this part I had to make my own. now as far as changing the mount you should but I would measure every thing just to be sure:anim_25:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

ADDENDUM: I bought the car as an incomplete restomod. The previous owner added a 350 V-8, 700 R4 trans, PS (R&P) and front discs. It handles poorly and stops poorly.

The old frame is bent. I plan to use an aftermarket frame to have it ride and handle better. There are many to choose from and I am looking for guidance form this community on the purchase.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,721 Posts
I don't believe any of the replacement frames are a direct fit for the 4 door hardtop. You will need to be able to make some modifications to any replacement frame where the mounts under the side door post frame bracket are. That said, search in the section under suspension etc on here. There is more frame information there. I would also do a search on eBay as there are several companies that make new frame on there. Contact them and see if they have the experience to fit their frame under your body.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
I did one ( old frame swap using another 57 frame ) in my time, not fun, but I managed.I was selling the car , one of the few that I have sold so it made little difference to me. Those new cutom frames are nice but pricy . Check to see how the, "Fit " will be.Mike

·
Registered
68,758 Posts
take a look at sponsors here, some of them sell frames. you can also use the search option above. :anim_25:

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,167 Posts

ADDENDUM: I bought the car as an incomplete restomod. The previous owner added a 350 V-8, 700 R4 trans, PS (R&P) and front discs. It handles poorly and stops poorly.

The old frame is bent. I plan to use an aftermarket frame to have it ride and handle better. There are many to choose from and I am looking for guidance form this community on the purchase.
Check out the Street Rod Garage; they have done custom frames for nearly 60 *different vehicles* (including a Russian military vehicle!). :) They do 'tri five frames for a variety of different suspension/engine options. They can supply just the frame allowing bolt up of your favorite suspension, Or supply the entire chassis.

http://www.streetrodgarage.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.