Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas
Years ago I bought a new set of front coil springs for my 57. I was thinking about installing them. I was reading some of the post here about how would be the best way to do it and I ran across a post where a guy says that coil springs don't ware out. I'm confussed. I would think after 50 years of carring the weight of the engine that they would get weak and start to loose there strength and sag. Guys tell me what you think I should do. Since I have the new ones should I put them on or just forget it. Will the new ones improve the ride? I know it will be a lot of work. My question is will it be worth it.

Thanks Guys

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,549 Posts
Simply supporting weight will not wear out a spring. A spring can wear out by repeated cycling which can change the temper of the metal, or by stretching it beyond its yield limits (highly unlikely in an automobile spring), or by corrosion and rusting on the surface of the spring which causes micro cracks to develop. Also, poor metalurgy or improper heat treating during manufacture could lead to a spring that doesn't meet design levels, but that would be apparent within a few years, not 50+ years down the road.

If your car sits level (side to side) then you probably don't need to repace the springs. If your car height has changed, it's actually more likely that the suspension bushings have worn than that the springs have weakened.

If you want to install your new springs, go ahead. It won't hurt. Any change you see in ride height is more likely because the springs are a different length. Compare the free height of the new spring against the old ones. They're probably different.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5761826_would-rear-coil-springs-break_.html

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I changed out mine because the old ones looked nasty. They were pitted. When the old ones came out they still stood straight when stood on the floor. Some people say that there's were bent when they came out. Found the new ones on craigs for 50 in the box. A deal. The old ones did sag a small bit. I would change them, heck you already have them anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Its a relatively easy job.IF YOU DO IT RIGHT.Doing it right means doing the job as safely as recommended.
When I did mine I chained the spring so it couldn't pop out and take off a leg. Hopefully someone here will chime in with all of the Necessary safety precautions.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,380 Posts
DIY Spring Compressor

Front coil spring removal and replacement procedures start here in the Shop Manual:http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955/55csm0307.html

I have always done my own from way back when.....I hate borrowing tools.......So, I made my own spring compressor which is almost the same as the one shown in the '57 Shop Manual.....Here's what you'll need:

2' of 1/2" all thread, high strength all thread is good if you can get it but it's not required
One 1/2" coupler nut (nut used to connect allthread to other things)
3 regular 1/2" coarse thread nuts
An eyebolt with 1/2" coarse thread
The crossbar and lower retaining bolts from an old front shock (you didn't throw them away did you?)
2 high quality (thick) 1/2" flat washers

All these willl cost you under $15 at the hardware store.
Join the all thread and the eye bolt with the coupler nut and use 2 of the regular nuts as jam nuts.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hi Fellas
... Guys tell me what you think I should do. Since I have the new ones should I put them on or just forget it. Will the new ones improve the ride? I know it will be a lot of work. My question is will it be worth it.

Thanks Guys

Mike
Stock springs on mine and they are fine. Leaf springs are another story :)

If you want to improve the ride, look into a front sway bar! Made a huge difference on mine.

·
Registered
38,739 Posts
I may be the one that said that springs don't wear out. I haven't changed my mind.

DavidY stated the case well.

Those who said don't use a pitted spring are also on the money.

One of the things about replacement springs is that the ride height you get is kind of a crap shoot. It's not so bad now, but 10-20 years ago a lot of the replacements gave you a higher ride height. That's ok if that's what you want, but many don't. So especially if you're happy with ride height, and the springs aren't pitted or damaged, use them again.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I may be the one that said that springs don't wear out. I haven't changed my mind.

DavidY stated the case well.

Those who said don't use a pitted spring are also on the money.

One of the things about replacement springs is that the ride height you get is kind of a crap shoot. It's not so bad now, but 10-20 years ago a lot of the replacements gave you a higher ride height. That's ok if that's what you want, but many don't. So especially if you're happy with ride height, and the springs aren't pitted or damaged, use them again.
X2... Frequently new springs will settle in lower than the initial installed height. Makes it difficult to set the stance. If you're happy with the ride I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Stock springs on mine and they are fine. Leaf springs are another story :)

If you want to improve the ride, look into a front sway bar! Made a huge difference on mine.

The guy I bought my Delivery from gave me
a front sway-bar with it.It's still in the box.
I plan on putting it on this year.I've had it
for 4 years and haven't taken it out of the
box yet.I hope it's like yours.What make is yours?
I like the looks of the lower control-arm brackets,
they look sturdy.Hope my kit is the same.

Doug

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Replacing Front Coil Springs

All of the bushings on my suspension were shot, mostly because the original rubber had mostly disintegrated from age. The shop I reached out to do the front end asked if I wanted to change the springs as well. I ended up changing both front and rear springs (stock replacement front, went from 4 to 5 leaf in the rear) as well as doing all the bushings. I would say the car rides about an inch or so higher after the change. I'm attaching before and after pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The guy I bought my Delivery from gave me
a front sway-bar with it.It's still in the box.
I plan on putting it on this year.I've had it
for 4 years and haven't taken it out of the
box yet.I hope it's like yours.What make is yours?
I like the looks of the lower control-arm brackets,
they look sturdy.Hope my kit is the same.

Doug
I answered in the post right about yours

here is some more info
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104397

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Front coil spring removal and replacement procedures start here in the Shop Manual:http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955/55csm0307.html

I have always done my own from way back when.....I hate borrowing tools.......So, I made my own spring compressor which is almost the same as the one shown in the '57 Shop Manual.....Here's what you'll need:

2' of 1/2" all thread, high strength all thread is good if you can get it but it's not required
One 1/2" coupler nut (nut used to connect allthread to other things)
3 regular 1/2" coarse thread nuts
An eyebolt with 1/2" coarse thread
The crossbar and lower retaining bolts from an old front shock (you didn't throw them away did you?)
2 high quality (thick) 1/2" flat washers

All these willl cost you under $15 at the hardware store.
Join the all thread and the eye bolt with the coupler nut and use 2 of the regular nuts as jam nuts.

This is the method I used (after reading it on this site a long time ago), along with a chain for backup safety and it worked perfectly. Just take your time.
The only modification I made was large washers on the bottom in lieu of the shock mount (because I didn't have the shock mount!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.