Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced the fuel sending unit this weekend. It was sort of a process and I definitely had some issues like usual. But I did replace the screws that come with the unit with new #10-32 1/2" screws from Home Depot. I also bought new brass washers. After I installed the unit with these news screws it started to leak from each screw. So I put some thread tape on the screws and now the leaks are gone. Just an FYI for someone putting new screws in when replacing the sending unit. The new screws did appear to tighten better. So overall a good choice. Another item done on the list.

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,422 Posts
It may not have been the loose threads as thought.

I just repaired Storm's 57 for a sending unit leak.

The screws would tighten down, but the unit would leak no matter what we tried. Finally I pulled the tank and unit out and inspected further. What I found was that 4 our of the screw holes weren't threaded all the way through. So even though the screw went in and felt tight, it was leaving a gap.

I tapped out all of the holes and then reinstalled the unit.

No more leaks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, so was it leaking from the screws or around the edge of the gasket? Mine seemed to be leaking specifically from the screws. Either way, it sounds like you got if figured out. Nothing worse than a leaky gas tank.
Thanks for the info for future though.

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,453 Posts
I got tired of dropping fuel tanks and tweaking the screws and gaskets. I. also figured out that the reproduction tanks use metric threads . Perfectionists wont want to hear this but I form my own gasket with fuel tank hole mender. The grey stuff that you mix together from the auto parts store.. Never need to worry about leaks again

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So after a while the leak will return? I guess I should look further into the possible issue of the tank not having fully tapped screw holes. Or is there another type of sealer I can use instead of the thread tape?
**Update, it looks like Permatex makes some products that will work good for use with fuel lines and applications where gasoline is being used.
Thanks for the heads up on the teflon tape roger1.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You need the cork and nitrile gasket that Danchuk provides, and use Permatex 2 on both sides of it.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts
You need the cork and nitrile gasket that Danchuk provides, and use Permatex 2 on both sides of it.
I use Permatex #2 as well...On the screw threads and washers also.

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,453 Posts
I find dropping the tank easier than trying to install the sender in an installed tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I replaced the sending unit today. I drained the tank but I did not drop it. I used the Permatex #2 on the new cork gasket and screws. Everything went together really well. The gauge works and no leaks! Thanks everyone for the comments and valuable information.

·
Administrator
49,472 Posts
You need the cork and nitrile gasket that Danchuk provides,
Or just go buy a roll of it at the parts store and make your own gasket like i did.
Terry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts