Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Look like I may have to replace the engine in my 57 4 door hardtop.
I can get a crate 350- 260 HP from JEGGs for $1500 -no shipping. But I like the loping cam sound of one with a slightly hot cam. Dependability is my priority as all I do is cruse with the occasional long trip. I have a 700R4 installed.
Suggestions?
John

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Several local guys have bought engines comparable to that and then done a cam swap to obtain the sound they were after.
Terry
But Terry, wouldn't that void the warrantee? I don't know ,just playing the devil's advocate. Can't you get the cam you want from Jeg's already put in it and still have warrantee? Just saying....

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
4 bolt main L-31 Vortec

Just a suggestion. From Summit or Scoggin Dickey in Lubbock. $2060.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12530283?seid=srese1&gclid=CKHhuYr57bcCFWdp7AodjzEAgw

from description:
power-producing Vortec cylinder heads with 1.94 in. intake valves and 1.50 in. exhausts, and 64cc combustion chambers that yield a gas-pump friendly 9.4:1 compression ratio. This combination is paired up with a roller cam that has 0.414 in. of intake lift and 0.428 in. for the exhausts.

Good luck on your search. Is your old engine worth rebuilding?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've contacted a local machine shop and asked how much to go through a set of heads. After he shot some prices at me ,he said earnestly,I hate to turn away business, but, it is much cheaper to buy the heads already done from Jegs or Summit. Then sell your old ones and you'll be money ahead. So, I'm assuming(oh-oh theres that word again!)that the same holds true for the engine. I have checked out the heads and its true for the heads.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
If you change the cam I'm sure it will void the warrenty. Just pick out one a little hotter....:tu
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at that Summit engine -Big Block. the price is right.
Will that roller cam give me the sound I'm looking for?
My engine is a 93 Roadmaster from a junkyard. It has good compression and the spark plugs looked fine when I removed them. My intent was to use it and the 700R4 that came with it as a sort of template to get my side mounts and everything else in and lined up plus the serpentine setup.
I don't have the time or energy to overhaul this one.
John

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
7,892 Posts

I can get a crate 350- 260 HP from JEGGs for $1500 -no shipping. But I like the loping cam sound of one with a slightly hot cam. Dependability is my priority as all I do is cruse with the occasional long trip. I have a 700R4 installed.
Suggestions?
John
This one is the same as the 260hp but has the old L82 cam in it. It has a slight exhaust lope.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...ce-350ci-290HP-Engine-Package/755609/10002/-1

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Here is my suggestion for a few dollars more from pace performance

GMP-10067353-K Chevy 350cid 300HP Crate Engine with FREE Shipping
Pricing: $1899.95

http://paceperformance.com/i-514637...id-300hp-crate-engine-with-free-shipping.html

Here's a review from a guy that has one.

GM 350 300hp
  • Currently 5/5 Stars
Reviewed by: Clyde05/30/2013 02:23PM
Product ownership: Less than 3 months
Purchased from: Pace Performance
Comments:
I recently purchased one of these engines and highly recommend it. Nice torque and just enough lump to let everyone know it isn't stock.

Description

Pace Pac SBC 350cid 300HP Crate Engine
This is a great entry level replacement engine for older cars and trucks, and a great basic street rod engine. All of the parts in this engine are Brand New. Includes 1 year unlimited mileage parts replacement warranty.
Specifications:
Power: 300 HP @5300 RPM, 356 ft. lbs. of torque @ 3700 RPM
Displacement: 350 CID, 5.7L
Bore x Stroke: 4.00” x 3.48”
Compression Ratio: 8.5:1
Recommended Fuel: 87 Octane
Block: Cast Iron, 2 piece rear seal, 4-bolt main caps
Crankshaft: Nodular Iron
Connecting Rods: Powdered Metal Steel
Pistons: Cast Aluminum
Camshaft: Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Cam Lift: .443” Intake / .465” exhaust
Cam Duration @ .050”: 214 deg. Intake / 224 deg. Exhaust
Lobe Separation: 112 Degree
Cylinder Heads: Cast Iron, 3/8” pressed in rocker studs
Combustion Chamber: 76cc
Valves: .194” Intake/ 1.50” Exhaust
Rocker Arms: Stamped Steel, 1.5:1 Ratio
Valve Springs:3911068
Balance: Internal
Maximum GM Recommended RPM: 5300
Ignition Timing: Base 10 degrees BTDC, 32 degrees total
Cylinder Head Notes: 7 Bolt style Exhaust Flange Standard, 85' and prior intake manifold bolt pattern. Perimeter bolt style Valve Covers. This head is very similar to the old #882 castings from the 1970's.
Engine Includes:
• Fully GM assembled long block
• Stamped steel OE valve covers
• Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold
• Oil pump, pick-up and oil pan
• Front timing cover
• 6” & 8” timing pointers for use with 2 O’clock mark balancers
• Block is drilled for drivers and/or passenger side oil dipsticks, plugs are included to plug unused dipstick tube hole.
Warranty:
Limited 1 year / Unlimited mileage parts only warranty

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Changeout.

Will that roller cam give me the sound I'm looking for?
No, the cam will have to be changed out, for some rumpity rump.

·
Registered
37,254 Posts
I don't think you can beat Otis' suggestion relative to the $1500/260hp engine. $400 more, it's put together already, and has a warranty. And seems to have the cam specs you want.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Replacement engine

Suggestions?
John
My notion would be to turn to Pace Chevrolet for that engine, then call Iskenderian Cams in California and order a cam just one step above an RV cam, then pick up a set of Harland Sharp roller Rockers and you are go to go
This gives you a lope, good Rev's with the roller rockers and cam and it does not kill your gas mileage. Sorry about the 700 r, I could have sold you a remanufactured Muncie with a new gearset
Been there and done that
Garys Gearbox

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
BUT, muncie's don't have overdirve!

no one wants a 1 to1 final gear out the trans!
OD IS the way to go, so that leaves out your muncie!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I may get the GM 10067353-K that Fox recommended.
My engine has not been overhauled.
John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a suggestion. From Summit or Scoggin Dickey in Lubbock. $2060.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12530283?seid=srese1&gclid=CKHhuYr57bcCFWdp7AodjzEAgw

from description:
power-producing Vortec cylinder heads with 1.94 in. intake valves and 1.50 in. exhausts, and 64cc combustion chambers that yield a gas-pump friendly 9.4:1 compression ratio. This combination is paired up with a roller cam that has 0.414 in. of intake lift and 0.428 in. for the exhausts.

Good luck on your search. Is your old engine worth rebuilding?
This is the engine I would go with. Its a Vortec 350 replacement designed for the truck with over 8600 gvrw, so it has 4 bolt mains. The Vortec 350 was rated at 255sae net [email protected]/330 lb/[email protected], but to compare to the other engines in this thread, it really puts out around 310320hp. I have over 400,000 kms on mine. With hundreds of 1/4 mile drag passes and thousands of 0-60 street runs in my pickup truck.
These engines come with Vortec heads and the 191º/196º 0.412"/0.412" lift with a 111ºLSA. These heads are the highest flowing heads installed by GM on a production GEN 1 engine....EVER! Better than the oft lauded "fuelie" heads that make 375hp on the 64-65 L84 fuelie and 365hp 1964-65 L76 327 engines. These heads are based off of more modern tech than the other heads in this thread for better power and better fuel economy.

Whatever you do don't get the 330hp 350HO, as this engine is simply a Vortec 350 with its roller cam taken out and a flat tappet cam installed, then hundreds added onto the price.

peace
Hog

1 - 20 of 20 Posts