Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone . Anyone one know anything about the Repro steering wheel for the 55-57. 15 inch wheel I've seen them at swap meets and on ebay . I'm thinking of getting one . Any comments appreciated .

·
Registered
68,275 Posts
I put one on a 55 I had. unless you have power steering, they make for harder turning. :)

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
I like mine so far, and even better... so does the wife....:)

It does make turning the wheel at a dead stop a little harder with out P/S, but if my 5' wife can deal with, i have no complaints.... I just call it ARMSTRONG steering...:sign0020:

·
Registered
37,501 Posts
The other issue is that these wheels often don't have a good finish. You can fix that before you paint it to match your car. But the chrome on the horn ring often isn't too good either.

Myself, I don't like the look. Instead I prefer a steering wheel that's in between. Stock is 18", the Chinese wheels are 15". A stock 60s wheel including the 58-60 and later Impala wheels are 16-1/2". A good diameter for looks for me. You can graft a 60s rim onto the 55-57 spokes and use the stock horn ring, or there are places to get one professionally done.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
And...

Check the fit on the shaft spline B4 you paint it...Many don't fit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Console

I like mine so far, and even better... so does the wife....:)

It does make turning the wheel at a dead stop a little harder with out P/S, but if my 5' wife can deal with, i have no complaints.... I just call it ARMSTRONG steering...:sign0020:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I got to ask.
Maddog, that console is very cool. Where did you get it? I'm working on 57 4door wagon, and installing bucket seats. Sure would like to fit in a console like that. Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
116 Posts
help

There was a guy at the SEMA show selling those wheels for $250 + $20 to ship. He was in the central hall.
I meant to circle back and order one but I forgot.
I can't remember the company name, nor find it in the SEMA guide, to save my life.
Anybody happen by the booth at SEMA last week?
Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts