Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get more enjoyment from working on the older cars than driving them. It's kind of theraputic for me and the time is spent with my son.
I was wondering how others here feel, restoring vs driving?

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on driving mine once it's roadworthy. My wife and I are planning on cruises in it and the list of places is growing I want to go with it.
I had a 69 Camaro rs/ss I bought that was all apart and in boxes. I loved putting it back together and drove it but had more fun seeing my efforts come alive.
Next was a 69 Chevelle that My son and I restored. it was more involved and took longer but working with Mike was the best part. He decided to pursue a auto Mechanics career because of that. I think I drove it 4 times since it's been done. that one is his.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
We've driven the wheels off our 57,4 door hardtop over the 30 years we've owned it.
And,I'm restoring my 57,2 door hardtop now,along with 3 other cars/trucks,so I have plenty to do and love it!I do a little to each as I get the time and parts/materials.
Mike.:bowtieb::)

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
I`d a whole lot rather drive them than to work on them. I`ll never again rebuild one without still having one to drive. The driving helps to keep the motivation up for me.
Terry

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
:bowtier:.......I sometimes complain about all I have to do until they're done and then I want to sell because I'm bored with it ..at least that's how it was with the last two cars I had...a 69 and a 72 chevelle.......but I was always saying the chevelles were too new and that's why I wanted a tri-five so badly... but I have a lot of plans for the 56 and I don't think it's going to ever really be "done"..

·
Registered
488 Posts
i enjoy both, but if anyone loves to work on these hay and if you need to get your fix call me i have many things to keep you satisfied.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
By all means I would rather be driving mine... Later, Dave

·
Registered
268 Posts
Its so self satisfying to be able to drive your classic after a repair or upgrade! Sometimes your patience can be tested though thats for sure. Theres nothing like taking a trouble free road trip!:)

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
I have one of each. I can tell you it's just as theraputic to drive one as it is to work on one. Some times working on them is more frustrating than theraputic. :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I for sure enjoy the driving part, but must enjoy the workin on em cause I am on my third time around on my 56.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I like both. Nothing quite like saying, "Yep. I made it." to other people.

I also like the looks and signs of approval other drivers give my cars.

It was always a dream of mine if I didn't have to drive my '57s in bad weather, I wouldn't. So I made that dream a reality. But I'd still rather be behind the wheel of one of them if I could.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Restoration or Driving ?

In my case it's a bit of both. Putting one back on the road as daily driver. Upgraded braking,steering,electrical and A/C. No trailer queens for this 'ol man, gotta-- drive 'em !

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,792 Posts
I like working on mine, so I can drive it more enjoyably :).....I get a little bored with just being able to drive mine.....So, I keep a running list of things I want to do to improve the looks of the car, the ride quality and its reliability.

For me, its hard to stay motivated on a car that is all torn apart and has been for a couple of years.....You just gotta drive 'em sometime to enjoy the fruits of your labors.....Don't think I'll ever do a frame-off restoration at my age

1 - 20 of 21 Posts