Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 55 Bel Air, the seller had change the original dynamo to a 59 model, because that dynamo didn´t work.

I ask him the original dynamo, and he has send it. I want repair and cosmetic restore before to put in in my chevy, so I ask for your tips.

This is the actually mouted dynamo. It´s belongs to a 59 Chevrolet.

And this is the original dynamo -I think-.

·
Administrator
68,043 Posts
Acardon is very knowledgable in the electrical field, but if the 59 generator works fine I would leave it, you can purchase new riverted tags also :anim_25:

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,392 Posts
Generators are quite basic- simple to assemble. How about clean up and paint the '55 case and slip the working '59 parts inside. You probably want a new set of brushes though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Acardon is very knowledgable in the electrical field, but if the 59 generator works fine I would leave it, you can purchase new riverted tags also :anim_25:

I must change the dynamo and send the 59 to the seller.

Ratpackin said:
Generators are quite basic- simple to assemble. How about clean up and paint the '55 case and slip the working '59 parts inside. You probably want a new set of brushes though

I had buy brushes a few months, I expected that I would need.
I want paint, but I don´t know what colour is original. Perhaps like my pics, with all black semi gloss except the rear side?

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
¡¡it´s broken!!

I have been analizing my generator, and the rear cap is broken. So it´s run very hard.

Could I buy this part?

Could you help me with original generator colours?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have been analizing my generator, and the rear cap is broken. So it´s run very hard.

Could I buy this part?

Could you help me with original generator colours?
You would I believe need a new case as that piece is cast to with the housing possibly you might find an old one non-working for sale cheap and just swap out the inner parts or someone here may have one laying around.

I have seen several original cars, albeit restored, and the cases were somewhere between semi-gloss and satin in finish but that could just be my perception of the color

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen several original cars, albeit restored, and the cases were somewhere between semi-gloss and satin in finish but that could just be my perception of the color

Semi-gloss black ok, but All the generator or only some parts of it?

The rear cap is painted too?
The front cap behaind the pulley, is painted too?
The nut in the pulley, is painted too?

I never had seen another 55 generator.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
When I bought my 55 Bel Air, the seller had change the original dynamo to a 59 model, because that dynamo didn´t work.

I ask him the original dynamo, and he has send it. I want repair and cosmetic restore before to put in in my chevy, so I ask for your tips.

This is the actually mouted dynamo. It´s belongs to a 59 Chevrolet.

By the date on that Delco tag, that's May 20 of the year "5", which I have to assume is 1955.

5E20 translates as "5", the year, "E" the month of the year (A=January, B=February, etc) and "20" is the day of the month.

My old eyes aren't good enough to make out the part number. Someone will have access to that info.

SO, IMHO, that cannot be a 59 generator or dynamo. :D

Chuck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
By the date on that Delco tag, that's May 20 of the year "5", which I have to assume is 1955.

5E20 translates as "5", the year, "E" the month of the year (A=January, B=February, etc) and "20" is the day of the month.

My old eyes aren't good enough to make out the part number. Someone will have access to that info.

SO, IMHO, that cannot be a 59 generator or dynamo. :D

Chuck
Chuck, I think that you can´t understand me because my english is poor. Sorry.

The blue generator, mount in my 55 car, is a 59 generator. I don´t remember exactly, but the blue generator tag says that made in final of 1958.

The grey generator, dismounted, is the original of my car, and that one I want restore for mount obiusly, like say in the tag, is from 1955.

The 55 model is 100310

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Semi-gloss black ok, but All the generator or only some parts of it?

The rear cap is painted too?
The front cap behaind the pulley, is painted too?
The nut in the pulley, is painted too?

I never had seen another 55 generator.
The entire case and pulley were painted black, the nut was natural silver looking like a new nut would be, same with the washer and the wire connection posts and hardware, one car I saw was a '55, another a '56 and I've seen 2-3 '57's...all looked very similar, the '57 Nomad had a different looking generator case in that the front and rear of the case, the mounting flanges were natural .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The entire case and pulley were painted black, the nut was natural silver looking like a new nut would be, same with the washer and the wire connection posts and hardware, one car I saw was a '55, another a '56 and I've seen 2-3 '57's...all looked very similar, the '57 Nomad had a different looking generator case in that the front and rear of the case, the mounting flanges were natural .
This is a very useful information for me :tu , but, what is a washer?

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
G.R. Gave you good information.

The case is black. Both end caps are natural aluminum (not painted)

A washer is a metal disk that goes under a bolt or nut to spread the pressure load or lock the bolt from turning. I don't know what they are called in spanish.

I imagine finding delco parts is difficult for you in Spain. I am sure someone here will have an extra endcap that they can send to you. Most of us in the USA have changed our generators (dynamo) to later style alternators. (electronic commutators)

Gary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Chuck, I think that you can´t understand me because my english is poor. Sorry.

The blue generator, mount in my 55 car, is a 59 generator. I don´t remember exactly, but the blue generator tag says that made in final of 1958.

The grey generator, dismounted, is the original of my car, and that one I want restore for mount obiusly, like say in the tag, is from 1955.

The 55 model is 100310

Ah, now I understand. Sorry for MY confusion. :D

Chuck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A washer is a metal disk that goes under a bolt or nut to spread the pressure load or lock the bolt from turning. I don't know what they are called in spanish.

I imagine finding delco parts is difficult for you in Spain. I am sure someone here will have an extra endcap that they can send to you. Most of us in the USA have changed our generators (dynamo) to later style alternators. (electronic commutators)

Gary
aaaaaahhh!! a washer, ok, ok. In spanish called "arandela".

Is not difficult find delco parts in Spain for olds chevy it´s impossible. But more or less I´m going solving with a BIG help from my trifive friends, and some imagination.

I don´t want change for a alternator, because I try keep my Bel Air, and my other cars, so original as possible.

pistoncan, thanks for your pic. It´s very enlightening for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello, I live in France and I'm restoring my Chevrolet 1955 Bel Air V8 265 ci. I'm looking for a generator Delco Remy n° 1100310 like you have on your picture. If somebody have one to sell or know where I can found one please tell it to me.
Thierry

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I do not have a generator for you,

You might try looking at an International Harvester or Mahindra tractor dealer. They both use Delco generators (at least in this counry) they might use Lucas in Europe, Im not sure.

I know you can find them on ebay USA, You may have to ask them if they will ship thiem to Europe. I hope someone on here has one to help you out.

Gary

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More problems

The rear cap is coming. But there is another problem.

The interior part (I don´t know the name in englis. Perhaps armature?) is shorted. Where could I get a new one?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
You have it right , it's called the armature in English. Here in the US we have companies that specialize in re-winding automotive armatures. These are usually small, local shops that do automotive electrical work. If you have a shop like that where you live you might check with them. I don't know of any companies that do this on a wide scale, maybe someone else does have some contacts here and can help.:anim_25:

Also going through some of my photos I found a picture of a stock generator. This was on a restored stock '56, this according to the owner was original to the car and he had a shop in Denver,CO rebuild it. Hope it helps you on your color question...the flash lightened the pulley color, it's the same color as the body, end pieces are natural metal and to answer an earlier question...a washer is that little ring or disk, silver in the photo, underneath the nut on the pulley...my Spanish is rusty but I think it is arendela(sp?)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FOR PAINT

I´m seeing pics and information about generators, and I pay attention to my own generator which have some old paint chips.

I think that 55 stock cars have a generator with case, pulley and caps black. And the 56 and upper stock cars have a generator with case and pulley in natural aluminium.

http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-non-power-steering-generator-rebuilt-1955.html

http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-non-power-steering-generator-rebuilt-1956-1957.html#

How I had say, in my generator caps there are some black paint, and is improbable that it had been painted before.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts