Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '57 Belair sports coupe is all original and I am trying to keep it that way. The grill emblem (red/white) and the quarter panel gold crests and script are faded. Can they be repainted and if so, where can I get the right stuff? I saw one post that said don't bother but I want to keep the originals if possible.

·
Registered
37,985 Posts
If you're intent on doing it, then go to a hobby store and get some of those tiny bottles of enamel. Testor's is the brand name I've used since I was a kid building model cars. You'll need red, blue, white, and gold.

Usually the clear plastic is stress cracked, or the pot metal surround the plastic emblem is pitted or broken, so the whole thing gets replaced.

You may need to scrape any flaky paint prior to applying new color.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
If you have the patience and good skills at painting small things, then do as Rick suggested. Bewarned that it is not easy or quick and it is hard to make it look like the orginal. I would suggest that you save yourself a headache and look at Danchuck or Ecklers.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
The silver colored looking material on the back of the emblem is vacumn-metalized and not part of the "paint". It just seals the paint from moisture, ets...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
If you're intent on doing it, then go to a hobby store and get some of those tiny bottles of enamel. Testor's is the brand name I've used since I was a kid building model cars. You'll need red, blue, white, and gold.

You may need to scrape any flaky paint prior to applying new color.
I did exactly this as a teenger back in the 1970s with my first car. It turned out rather nicely if I do say so myself. One thing I noticed was the original paint "Seemed" to be more of a metallic versus the Testor's paint I put on the grille bar emblem.

Maybe it just had to do with the metalized backing on the paint that was making it appear to be metallic?

My windowed Sedan Delivery I cheated on the rear 6 cylinder emblem on the back door. New plastic insert with original bezel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts