Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not posted that much, but I check this site multiple times a day. I have made the decision to do a frame off restoration of my 57 hardtop -- was my dads.

I pulled out all of the regulators. They are pretty rusty. Classic Industries runs 20% off all the time. I can get each of the window regulators for approximately $80.00. I noticed one post about Danchuk reproduction regulators having some issues. This makes me a little nervous. I am torn between trying to restore my old ones or getting the reproductions. By the time I pay for blasting, etc., the cost to fix the old ones may about the same or slightly more than simply buying the ones from Classic Industries. I was hoping to get some opinions from the board on both options.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
If they're working smoothly then there's no reason to replace them. As far as restoring them, I'd just soak them in solvent for a day, then dry them off and put lithium grease on the moving parts. Surface rust isn't going to hurt anything and will be hidden anyway.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
If you can find someone with a sandblaster that would be best. I had access to one and blasted all mine then repainted and greased everything good, they work like new.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
If they are still working, don't waste your money on repo's. Use a wire wheel on you grinder or a wire brush and a little elbow grease they will come up fine. If you are doing a frame off resto you will need to save as much money as you can, good luck.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Good luck with your restoration. In my experience the restored OEM provides better service than the repop and is better quality.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have not posted that much, but I check this site multiple times a day. I have made the decision to do a frame off restoration of my 57 hardtop -- was my dads.

I pulled out all of the regulators. They are pretty rusty. Classic Industries runs 20% off all the time. I can get each of the window regulators for approximately $80.00. I noticed one post about Danchuk reproduction regulators having some issues. This makes me a little nervous. I am torn between trying to restore my old ones or getting the reproductions. By the time I pay for blasting, etc., the cost to fix the old ones may about the same or slightly more than simply buying the ones from Classic Industries. I was hoping to get some opinions from the board on both options.

Keep what you have.

·
Registered
722 Posts
mine were all frozen. sand blasted and oiled them up. 3 out of 4 are good to go. the drivers is missing a few teeth so that will get replaced with a repro. ill post how well the new on works when I get it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine were all frozen. sand blasted and oiled them up. 3 out of 4 are good to go. the drivers is missing a few teeth so that will get replaced with a repro. ill post how well the new on works when I get it.
Thanks for all the responses. I am leaning towards blasting mine. Should I paint them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts