Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the trip from Woodstock Ontario to Nashua New Hampshire for the 37th Annual International Eckler's Chevy Classics, the 283 4bbl "Powerpack", Powerglide 2 speed auto trans and 3.36 rear gears netted 16.75 mpg consuming 74.75 gallons while covering 1255 miles engine mileage is now 77307 miles since the restoration way back in 1991. The car was cruised at roughly 65-70mph (2750-3000rpm-26.5" tire height-not accounting for torque converter slippage).

The car showed well with a 1st Place award, scoring 947 points for it's Silver Certificate in the Contemporary-Senior Division. It's been a long time since it has scored such numbers, but this was the 1st time "Southern Belle" was shown since my Father passed away last August. Many people at the show asked my Mom "Where's John"? Then she would tell them of his death, and then their were many hugs/tears. I was proud of Mom to go on this trip with a friend who also used to do the show circuit with her Husband who had also passed away recently. The 2 ladies did just fine.
I am looking forward to getting the judging sheet in the mail, to see what improvements can be made.
Don't worry Dad, "Southern Belle" will add to her stack of Platinum Certificates.

before "Southern Belle" left for the show.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
67,793 Posts
congrats, i'm sure your dad was there riding shotgun. :tu

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Wow, nice car, very similar to mine. Are those original rims and hubcaps? What tire brand and size are you running, I need new skins and you are tempting me to dump the cragar ss and bf goodrich combo for the original look again.

I have the original wheels and caps.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Nice to hear you had a great trip and congrats on the 1st place.I'm sure your dad is happy and smiling from above.Great pic,thanks for posting.:shakehands: :tu :tu :bowtier:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wow, nice car, very similar to mine. Are those original rims and hubcaps? What tire brand and size are you running, I need new skins and you are tempting me to dump the cragar ss and bf goodrich combo for the original look again.

I have the original wheels and caps.
My car should actually have a White top likes yours too. Dad's original Diamondback gasser looking car with the 365hp L76 327 crate was a single colour car, so when he did this car, he wanted it to be a single colour as well. Automatically that counts as a vehicle change and moves the car from the Restored class to the Contemporary class for Classic Chev International judging.
You've got a nice car yourself.

Yes those are original/correct 14" rims and hubcaps for the Belairs. They are Coker 215/75-14 reproduction radial version of the BFGoodrich Silvertown 7.50 -14.

Pictured is an actual BFGoodrich Bias Ply Silvertown 7.50-14

The rest of the pics that were taken of "Southern Belle" before she left are here
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107432

This is Dad's Diamondback car, that Dad built back in the 60'. The last guy to build a clone of it, gave this back to me 2 months ago. This is my next project. I'm so happy to have it back in the family. Too bad the L76 is gone.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Mom had a blast.
peace
Hog

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Nice looking 57... Congratulations on your win... Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My dad also died last August. He had a 60 vette and I had the 57 Chevy. It sucks without him being around as he was a knowledgeable and great guy.

I asked about the tires because I definitely want to keep radials on the car and is it a huge difference vs. running bias ply. How do you like the feel and handling of the car with those tires?

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
I'd love to see some pics of that 'diamondback' from when it was complete.

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
:congrats: sure is a beauty, your Father would have been missed, good on your mom to keep the batton going :tu

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dad also died last August. He had a 60 vette and I had the 57 Chevy. It sucks without him being around as he was a knowledgeable and great guy.

I asked about the tires because I definitely want to keep radials on the car and is it a huge difference vs. running bias ply. How do you like the feel and handling of the car with those tires?
I found there to be a large difference between the bias ply and the radials. With Bias ply going down the highway the car felt as though it was following the groove in the pavement. The car felt out of control and I got that "fight or flight" adrenaline release.

The car is now great to drive. I did a shake down cruise from Woodstock to London and back on the 401 and I had my left arm resting on the window sill and had my index finger and thumb on the steering wheel while cruising 70mph (3000rpm) on the highway and it felt confident. With the Bias ply tires, I drove with both hands on the wheel.

If you are ever in the Stock area let me know and you can take her for a spin yourself. I live very close to the Sweaburg Road exit. I can meet you at the 230 truckstop and we'll go for a spin.

Sorry to hear about your Dad as well. I sure wish I could get some more time with him.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are some pics of Clone #1 and a couple pics of the Diamondback when it was in its glory days. They are print photographs. I wont forget about you when I get them converted to digital. It wont be soon though.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I found there to be a large difference between the bias ply and the radials. With Bias ply going down the highway the car felt as though it was following the groove in the pavement. The car felt out of control and I got that "fight or flight" adrenaline release.

The car is now great to drive. I did a shake down cruise from Woodstock to London and back on the 401 and I had my left arm resting on the window sill and had my index finger and thumb on the steering wheel while cruising 70mph (3000rpm) on the highway and it felt confident. With the Bias ply tires, I drove with both hands on the wheel.

If you are ever in the Stock area let me know and you can take her for a spin yourself. I live very close to the Sweaburg Road exit. I can meet you at the 230 truckstop and we'll go for a spin.

Sorry to hear about your Dad as well. I sure wish I could get some more time with him.

peace
Hog
I hope to have my car back on the road sometime this summer and then I will come down. I remember the bias ply nightmares, and when I switched to the BF Goodrich TAs I couldn't believe the difference. It's now time to replace them. Did you buy the Cokers here or in the US?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope to have my car back on the road sometime this summer and then I will come down. I remember the bias ply nightmares, and when I switched to the BF Goodrich TAs I couldn't believe the difference. It's now time to replace them. Did you buy the Cokers here or in the US?
Sure, just let me know. Dad got the Cokers at Carlisle. He did have to take them back a few time as there were some warranty issues, but I cant remember what the issue was. For a few years there it was like he was "leasing" the tires, new set home in the spring, same set back in the fall,new set back in the fall etc etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OK, here are some pics of the "Diamondback" in it's glory days. Earlier than I though I'd get them, sorry but they are just photographs of photographs.

From 1995, Mom and Dad put on a car sgow in Woodstock. Someone had trailered "Diamondback" to the show. I was on leave from the Army.

This was the ad that Dad sold "Diamondback" with, ad was asking $2100, but he took $1500. The Corvette power Dad is speaking of was a 1965 L76 365hp 327 he bught as a crate engine along with 4 speed manual trans, from Elliot Bros. Chev rolet dealership here in Woodstock Ontario Canada.

And this pic is "Diamondback" just after Dad had sold her to a friend. The house behind the car is what the money was used for back in the early 70's. The same house and garage where Dad worked as a frame straightener/alignment/brake Technician for himself for the enxt 30+ years.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here are some more pics I have. Many of these are of the making of Clone #1 that Dad was contracted to build of the car he built as a young man that Had the Diamondback rear window.

This is what the guy wanted "Cloned".

So the contractor went a found the original "Diamondback" and bought her to make a clone out of her. That's my "Southern Belle on the ground next to trailered "Diamondback".

DIamondback in this pic is sporting 295/50/15 rear rubber
http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Schermerhorn/media/Cars2/023.jpg.html?sort=3&o=45

After careful consideration, it was decided that the original Diamondback wasn't the proper candidate for restoration, so it was decided to build a Diamondback Clone using this car.
This is what we started with.(nice car in its own right)

Out with the control arms, getting ready for a straight axle.

Ready for stripping

Getting her done. That's my Dad on the grinder. Miss you Dad.

Frame ready for restoration, while Diamondback watches on out in the snow
That's the alignment rack where Dad worked for years. Nice 30 ft walk to work every day.

Pictured through the newly cut diamond shaped hole in the rear window of the Clone.

Old paint off

1950 Chev 1/2 ton truck straight front axle in

Frame and rear axle ready to go. These days Clone #1 sports a 425hp ZZ383 crate and a F&*^d 9" rearend.

Beautiful

Working on a 327(no not the L76, it wasn't to be found)

Prettied up

Unloading the body freshly painted way up in Sunridge Ontario.

Down fellas, EASY does it!.

I think Diamondback is a tad jealous of her "Clone" with her shiny paint and all. Don't worry Diamond, there is only truly 1 of you.

Body down

A couple 2 door hardtop fins

3's a crowd, Diamondback, Southern Belle and Clone all in a row. That's a LOT of Tropical Turquoise in 1 picture.

And from the front

rear again

Fins

Grilled

The Master, my Dad working on Clone.

Installing the all important diamond back glass.

wiring anyone?

All done, that's me about to go for a test spin sitting ion milk crates.

Dad and owner taking a spin

Turning into Mom and Dad's place

And here is the original Diamondback today. Don't worry Dad, I'll do you proud. After Clone#1 was built, I asked the owner of CLone #1 to let me know if he wanted to get rid of Diamondback, he instead sold it to the to be owner of Clone#2. After Dad passed away last August, the owner of Clone #2 and Diamondback most generously gave Diamondback to me as well as a truckload of parts. I cant thank this fine sir enough. He had quite the investment in Diamondback before it was abandoned and then he built Clone #2. I cant thank him enough. I really cant believe that Diamondback is back in the family again.

Just so everyone knows just how deep our family's love of 57 Chev's goes. The picture on Dad's gravestone is taken from the picture when Southern Belle was used for the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Superbowl commercial. GM contracted a company in Toronto to do the shoot, I will post the actual pic when I can find it.

Love you Dad.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And here's the El Morroco's just for kicks and giggles.

peace
Hog

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts