Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Probably a silly question but I have to ask.

I'm looking for a RHD pitman arm to suit 1955 chevy.

I got my hands on a complete drag link with pitman arm assembly only to find out that the pitman arm has been modified to suit a Ford steering box so I'm needing a pitman arm to get me out of trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!!

Gaz

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ange,

Thanks for the reply mate.

At present the pitman arm was used with a Ford Steering Box and when installed on a mazda steering box (being used for the conversion) it is sloppy.
The mazda steering box shaft is the same size as stock chevrolet so I'm assuming the pitman arm was modified to fit the Ford Box.

Cheers!!

Gaz

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Gary
there have been lots of conversions done here over the years. One i saw recently was a cut and shut lhd drag link. The right side end was then cut and threaded to take the Ford Falcon end - similar to the original lhd Chevy PS drag link. This set up used a Ford PA and a HK Holden steering box. All mods were done by a blacksmith and xrayed to ensure no crappy welding.

Another conversion done here was to use the original PA and graft in the inner splined section of a Toyota Crown PA, and the Crown box. The way I heard that it was done was to cut out the Chevy PA around the spline, do the same to the Toyo PA and join them together - by welding and pinning. That way you had a Chevy PA with Toyo spline - again best left to the experts and some xrays after the mods to ensure no cracks etc.

Thinking outside the box, it would be possible to use a lhd PA to restore a rhd one by following the same methods as with the Toyo conversion.

Cheers, Des

P.S. I don't have any rhd steering parts atm - they keep bobbing up though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Garry, if you don't use the butchered pitman arm and want to move it on, I could be interested as I am looking at using either a jeep, a Montero (Pajero) or a Range Rover box.

All of those have larger diameter sector shafts than the Trifive so re-splining, yet again, is an option (provided the Ford spline is not already too big for those.

And..... it would negate the need to mess up another RHD pitman - if I can find one (no, I wouldn't do that, I'd get the sector shaft re-splined to suit the Chevy pitman).

Mike.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Garry, if you don't use the butchered pitman arm and want to move it on, I could be interested as I am looking at using either a jeep, a Montero (Pajero) or a Range Rover box.

All of those have larger diameter sector shafts than the Trifive so re-splining, yet again, is an option (provided the Ford spline is not already too big for those.

And..... it would negate the need to mess up another RHD pitman - if I can find one (no, I wouldn't do that, I'd get the sector shaft re-splined to suit the Chevy pitman).

Mike.
The Mitsubishi Pajero / Montero box isn't a good candidate for RHD Tri-5s

The Steering Box was designed to mount "outboard"[RHS] of the frame rails on the Pajero.
They are a very good candidate for a LHD Power steering box. I have successfully used it's little brother [Mitsy Sigma/Starion RWD] on a LHD Corvette C3 to eliminate the Ram P/Steer.

My Brother uses Sigma boxes on Mustangs in his Race Car Fabrication business

·
Administrator
63,980 Posts
The Mitsubishi Pajero / Montero box isn't a good candidate for RHD Tri-5s

The Steering Box was designed to mount "outboard"[RHS] of the frame rails on the Pajero.
They are a very good candidate for a LHD Power steering box. I have successfully used it's little brother [Mitsy Sigma/Starion RWD] on a LHD Corvette C3 to eliminate the Ram P/Steer.

My Brother uses Sigma boxes on Mustangs in his Race Car Fabrication business
Thanks for the update, sounds like there`s going to be a shortage of sigma boxes :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for the update, sounds like there`s going to be a shortage of sigma boxes :)
Look at an Isuzu Bighorn [Holden Trooper] steering box.

It is almost a reverse casting of the Mitzy box making it an ideal candidate for mount inboard on the RH frame rail.

Most of these Jap steering boxes are made by Aisin

·
Registered
298 Posts
Never heard of the Isuzu Bighorn, what is it ?
From Wikipedia

The Isuzu Bighorn is a mid-size SUV that was produced by the Japanese automaker Isuzu between 1981 and 2002 and exported internationally as the Isuzu Trooper, Isuzu Trooper II, Caribe 442, Acura SLX, Chevrolet Trooper, Subaru Bighorn, SsangYong Korando Family, Honda Horizon, Opel Monterey, Vauxhall Monterey, Holden Jackaroo, Holden Monterey and HSV Jackaroo.

Common as shit in NZ

·
Registered
77 Posts
Was talking to a mate yesterday who is fitting power steering to his 63 Chev , he tells me the RHD Jeep Wrangler 1993-2001 vintage has a steering box near on identical to a 63 chev manual steering box , even bolts up using 2 out of the 3 original holes and just slotting the third , might be worth a look ???

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Blacky
Are you suggesting that Jeep box for a tri5?
If so, it's way too short. The early 60's Chevy box is similar in size to a HQ Holden and the tri5 boxes are a lot longer
Cheers, Desmi

·
Registered
77 Posts
Blacky
Are you suggesting that Jeep box for a tri5?
If so, it's way too short. The early 60's Chevy box is similar in size to a HQ Holden and the tri5 boxes are a lot longer
Cheers, Desmi
No worries mate, I cant remember what a stock 57 steering box looks like , we converted mine with a HQ front clip years ago .

·
Registered
100 Posts
RHD power steering box

Hi guys, I manufacture right hand drive power steering boxes here in Melbourne to suit the 55-57 Chevy. I use a Delphi 600 Series power box and modify it so that it will bolt straight in to the RHD chassis, using the factory mounting holes. I can supply it with a 1-1/8" spline to suit the factory pitman arm or with a 1-1/4" spline to suit a RHD pitman arm that I also manufacture in Melbourne. I also supply the correct steering shaft and rag joint to suit, plus have Saginaw pump, bracket and pulley kits to round it off. All of these parts are top quality Borgeson products. I have sold over a dozen of these boxes and have had only one complaint, which I quickly rectified.

Regards from Down Under. :bowtier:

aussiejohn

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi guys, I manufacture right hand drive power steering boxes here in Melbourne to suit the 55-57 Chevy. I use a Delphi 600 Series power box and modify it so that it will bolt straight in to the RHD chassis, using the factory mounting holes. I can supply it with a 1-1/8" spline to suit the factory pitman arm or with a 1-1/4" spline to suit a RHD pitman arm that I also manufacture in Melbourne. I also supply the correct steering shaft and rag joint to suit, plus have Saginaw pump, bracket and pulley kits to round it off. All of these parts are top quality Borgeson products. I have sold over a dozen of these boxes and have had only one complaint, which I quickly rectified.

Regards from Down Under. :bowtier:

aussiejohn
Blacky,

As for your friend's '63 Chevy, the Jeep box has no holes anywhere near close enough to mount it to the Chev chassis and make it steer correctly, however, I have had made a bunch of adapter plates to fit a 1965-1969 Chev/Pontiac POWER RHD box to the 1958-1964 Chevs. This box is a Saginaw 700 Series box and is more than strong enough for the job. The plate bolts to the box with countersunk bolts then the plate is bolted to the chassis using the factory mounting bolt holes. Due to the bigger diameter sector shaft, I have had made a bespoke pitman arm to suit the sector shaft. I also supply a Borgeson rag joint and intermediate shaft to connect to the stock steering shaft. I've sold over a dozen of these kits and they all work just fine. Call me if you want to know more.

Regards from Down Under. :bowtieb:

aussiejohn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

Probably a silly question but I have to ask.

I'm looking for a RHD pitman arm to suit 1955 chevy.

I got my hands on a complete drag link with pitman arm assembly only to find out that the pitman arm has been modified to suit a Ford steering box so I'm needing a pitman arm to get me out of trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!!

Gaz
Are you still chasing a pitman arm ? I have a complete front end minus steering box that I would like to move on If you are interested

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply.
I'll find out. This was for a friend of mine doing a conversion. I'll get in touch with him tomorrow and see if he was able to find one....otherwise I reckon he'd be keen.
Will be in touch.
Cheers!!

Gaz

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Ozwest57,

Sorry for the slow reply mate, my friend has been away.
Thanks so much for the offer but my mate has found a replacement.
Thanks again!!
Cheers.

Gaz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts