Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 1956 Chev is an aussie built. The ID tag was riveted in the engine bay whilst the Vin tag was riveted to left lower door pillar. No chassis numbers though even after sand blasting.
IMG_1128_1.JPG

IMG_1127 edited.jpg

Image029.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
There’s a number stamped onto my Melbourne-made ‘57 RHD frame ... behind the front l/h wheel. Maybe plants about the country did them differently.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Were all the parts needed for assembly of TriFives there in AUS manufactured in AUS (including frames, engines, etc?)? or were some parts provided from the US??

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Were all the parts needed for assembly of TriFives there in AUS manufactured in AUS (including frames, engines, etc?)? or were some parts provided from the US??
For CKDs – frames were made here. Also seat upholstery was made here – because they were all leather!

·
Administrator
63,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The distinctive differences were that the Aus 57`s were 210`s instead of Belairs and they all had 55/56 double hump dash, I6 engines and three speed column.
Of course there were some small exceptions.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
CKD means 'knock down kit' doesn't it? Implying to me that *most parts* to build the car were supplied by Chevrolet to Australia as a 'kit' for assembly there, so the sheet metal and small parts were delivered to AUS in 'kit form'? It would be very interesting to see the 'form' of the kit delivered to AUS...

Do any of you there have a photo of such a kit?? (ie. before assembly)?

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Of course there were some small exceptions.
All of the CKDs would have been the same spec, excepting any dealer add-ons, like a heater.

But yeah, the lower number of fully imported cars were a different set of specs.

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
CKD stands for Complete Knock Down.

My seats were leather, and strangely enough it also had a bolt through the B pillar that mounted the upper seat belt, which was also used on some early Holdens
Yes, mine has a bolt there as well. It has always had seat belts.

As for the chassis, all the body and frames came out of Oshawa Canada CKD, so no chassis were built here. I've never found my chassis number so far.

My body number starts with just "B" for Brisbane. This link shows some photos of the Brisbane assembly plant.

https://www.hrc.org.au/97?fbclid=IwAR2qFZKp0nBkQaw4DrY0YX3Q10o6niHjpxfPVGglMriwx451H7fG9Cwkso8

21 - 32 of 32 Posts