Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 57 finally got delivered Friday.
The right brake light is not working. I switched bulbs and it still won't work.
Left brake light and blinkers work, right side will not. No corrosion in socket, can't see any broken wires. Any ideas?:confused0006:
Thanks in advance,
Rick

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
+1 on the test light. Check the feed going to the socket and check the ground. Then work your way back to the source of power. Refer to the schematic found in the service manual. I believe you can find it here if you don't have one.

Don

68,758 Posts
hi rick. congrats on getting that 57 delivered, know yuor excited. :five: does the front one work?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
When mine didn't work it ended up being the ground was bad. And yes it was hard to find....

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
When mine didn't work, it drove me nuts for a while. I found that the previous owner had plugged the radio light wire into the brake light switch. I found out the problem by accident when one night I was sitting in the car while it was dark out and stepped on the brake and all the dash lights came on. Then I knew where to look for the problem then, but it still took a while.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
If both the right brake light and blinker does not work, check the connection of the purple wire in the rear harness connector near the drivers kick panel. If that's OK, check the violet wire at the turn signal connector at the base of the steering column.
If the right brake light doesn't work but the right blinker does work, the turn signal switch is bad.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
use a test light to see if you are getting power to the socket. If there is power then it is a grounding issue.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses!
I went out earlier today and spent about 30minutes with the test light and actually found that the connections needed cleaning.
One under the dash and the other up front in front of the radiator.
I think I'm going to spend some time just checking everything out before taking any long rides.
I was looking at my 69 Aluminum head 427 thats been sitting in the garage and think that would be a Great winter project.:rolleyes:
Just after getting the lights on the 57 working the light on the test light quit:D Go Figure!
Thanks again guys.
Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts