Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to adjust the right front fender on my 57. it needs to be lift up about 3/8".
I have read through the removal tutorial and it seems that there is a lot involved. My question is, can I just loosen it enough without taken it apart so I can adjust it as needed?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
Yes you can loosen to adjust. Make sure you know how many shims are at the top.
Tape off every edge that you do not want to get damaged.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for your help and illustrations!
Here is my problem. I really just want to lift the front part of the fender. The back is some what aligned but at the front as you can see in the picture, the fender is low and goes under the bumper.

I can tell that it is the fender that needs to be lifted up as the hood does not align properly at the front. (is off about 3/8")

This will be a first for me, I'm just wondering if this is going to be over my head and I can potentially make it worse or is something that can be easily done.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I need to adjust the right front fender on my 57. it needs to be lift up about 3/8".
I have read through the removal tutorial and it seems that there is a lot involved. My question is, can I just loosen it enough without taken it apart so I can adjust it as needed?

Thanks in advance!
I would loosen as many bolts as possible on that side before trying to move it. That would include the inner fender bolts.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
I really just want to lift the front part of the fender. The back is some what aligned but at the front as you can see in the picture, the fender is low and goes under the bumper.

I can tell that it is the fender that needs to be lifted up as the hood does not align properly at the front. (is off about 3/8")
You can't raise just the front of the fender without ruining the gap between the door and fender. The door/fender gap will increase at the bottom, if you raise the front of the fender. If the gap is good, you will need to lower the bumper and hood, not raise the fender.
There's a bumper bracket fastened to the end bumper bolt and the fender that locates the end of the bumper to the fender. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/14-3.gif

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you very much all! I'm sure I would have messed things up by trying to adjust the fender. I will work on dropping the bumper as suggested! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts