Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I'm pretty sure that I broke my right rear stock bellhousing mount last night hammering the '57

Downshifting & using the engine to slow down, I have a pretty serious shudder/vibration, until I slow her down.

No issues accelerating, just on slowing down

I have the BBC/4spd mounted "old school" - solid front "stock style" frame mounts in the 6cyl position with Speedway front motor mount brackets & stock rear bellhousing mounts on the Lakewood blowshield

Front left of motor is chained to frame

Does anyone make a rear "stock" style that is solid, or do I need to fabriucate one myself?

Thought I'd ask before starting the fabrication ....

Thanks!

:gba:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Don

I want to replace the stock rubber mount with a solid mount - BBC are tough on the rubber mounts!

Thanks again

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
I've never seen a commercially made solid bell housing mount.

I made some steel ones from 1/4" plate over 40 years ago, I guess that's still the way to do it.

I know you didn't ask, but side mounts and a crossmember are better way to do it.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,713 Posts
Years ago, we used to drill a couple of holes through the mounts and run bolts through the rubber portion...So; it wouldn't separate.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys - Pop, I never thought of your solution

Checked out the situation yesterday - the mount is not broken

I just rebuilt the front steering assembly - new inner/outer tie rod ends, idler arm & bushings, re-built the center link.

Must have something off - I'm taking it for an alignment

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
you'd be way better off putting a crossmember at the rear of the tranny. 1st gen Camaro/Nova tranny crossmember and two pieces of 3" angle iron, 4 bolts, done.........
oh, and DO NOT use solid tranny mount, you'll break the tail shaft housing.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
i had mine set up simliar to yours front mount for a while...but i didn't have the stock mounts in the front...i made my own.

but i just trimmed the mounts down and only ran 2 bushings to the front motor mounts...so it was pretty close to hard mounted in the front. never broke any rubber side trans mounts with this. the driver door after a month started closing funny. tweaking the frame and body though. but i've since gone to a side mount 1 off piece with the straight axle

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Checked out the situation yesterday - the mount is not broken
It could be related to your leaf springs, the pinion angle changes because of your downshifting causing a vibration in your drive shaft.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bihili

Thanks for the suggestion - I figured out what the issue was

I had replaced all of the steering components, and was interrupted by a storm

I forgot to finish torquing everything to specs - doing so solved my problem :embarassed:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Not a thread high jacking -- but I see you are running the same engine/tranny mounting that we are and I would like to know what headers you went with?

Also I sent you a direct message as well.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brian - no problem

I went with the uncoated BBC fenderwell headers from Speedway - passenger side fit fine, driver side not so good

The tube from cylinder # 5 interferred with the stock steering box badly - I had to dent the bottom of # 5 tube considerably as well as grind the edge of the steering box cover & the cover nut

This is the one thing that I am unhappy with the swap - I will be addressing this issue next

I'm hoping that the headers sold on Ebay by Dale will address this - I haven't had the chance to call him & discuss yet

If that doesn't work, I'll need to do some fabrication

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Brian, the biggest problem you will have by leaving the stock rear mounts is the headers in order to clear that area hang way too low. you will be hitting the collectors regularly unless you want to go the fenderwell exit route.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Was hoping you were using something more like a hugger header, shorty, that collects high and just an exhaust pipe exits under the tranny frame horn.

Tonight I found Hedman 68510 huggers said to work with front mounted 396 57s but require a Tilton style starter -- I looked it up and they are small foot print starters very narrow. Seems that they move the clearance issue to a "new place"....hahaha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts