Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi y'all. forgive me for asking this as it is something i probably should know, but, my 55 turns 4200 rpm's at 55 miles per hour. it has a 350 and a muncie 4 speed. i am considering a gear swap but the housing has no rear cover, it looks as though you change the center section from the front. is this the right rear for the car? i have had many other chevy's in the past but have never seen a rear like this. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks-glenn

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Glenn, does it look like this? This is the 55 to 64 Chevy style (and also 55 to 62 Corvette).

Your gear must be really low. With that RPM, I suspect it may be something like a 4.56 or maybe even a 4.88. I ran a 4.56 in a 57 I had for about 6 weeks. Man, you could go thru all 4 gears in an intersection :eek:
If you want to maintain the launch, I would maybe go with a 4.11 or 3.70.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If the tires are around 24 inches tall the gear ratio would be about 5.45:1 :eek:

Has this thing spent a lot of time at the drag strip...?

If the car has been modified it could also be a ford or Dana rear end...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right rear-yup

thanks for the warm welcome and all the help! it does look just like the rear in MikeKy55's picture. the tires are 235/60-15 i calculate them to be about 26.1 inches tall. any idea where to buy a different center section? my friend, who i bought the car from a few years back, said he bought it from a guy that used to drag race it. iv'e been working on it when i can, and have just recently been able to drive it. all that is left to do is paint, which is what i do but you know what they say, the carpenters own house is usually the worst one on the block. thanks again-glenn

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi Jim. I live in south new berlin NY. 37 miles north of Binghampton, and about 60 miles south of Syracuse. Thanks-Glenn

·
Registered
43 Posts
I live pretty close to you, Bainbridge.

My 55 has a 3 speed and the rpm''s are pretty high at 55mph but not that high.
Good luck with your gear swap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bainbridge is only about 20 minutes for me, I worked in endwell for a couple years. are you gonna make it to the syracuse nationals this weekend? I heard 6800 cars are registered for the show. should be a good time. thanks-Glenn:

·
Registered
43 Posts
No I wont be able to make it this year. I've been to a couple local shows, norwich and here. That's at the state fair grounds right? Enjoy the show.

Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts