Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded a convertible crossmember for this early Camaro xmember. This one is 31 1/2" wide and my frame is 34" wide.
Figuring a 1" bolt hole on each end that leaves me 29 1/2 " which means that my frame mounts have to stick out at least 2 1/4" from the frame..
The tranny crossmember on the 57 sedan delivery (that I shoulda kept)was tight to the frame.Is there a difference in the frame width between 56 & 57?
If early Camaro doesnt fit,what does?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
That will fit 55-57 perfect all you need is a couple 1/4 inch thick angle iron tabs welded to frame to rest it on.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts
The crossmember I bought from CCI is 31 1/4" wide....About the same as yours.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I used a crossmember from an unknown vehicle (it was laying on the ground at a wreckin yard) but I welded a gusset on one end of the angle brackets for additional support. It may be overkill.??? You can just see the gusset in this picture.

·
12,256 Posts
I traded a convertible crossmember for this early Camaro xmember. This one is 31 1/2" wide and my frame is 34" wide.
Figuring a 1" bolt hole on each end that leaves me 29 1/2 " which means that my frame mounts have to stick out at least 2 1/4" from the frame..
The tranny crossmember on the 57 sedan delivery (that I shoulda kept)was tight to the frame.Is there a difference in the frame width between 56 & 57?
If early Camaro doesnt fit,what does?
56 and 57 frames are the same width. Seems to me that the crossmember you have should work fine as-is or you can lengthen it if you want to by welding a plate to the bottom of it. It looks to me that your holes would be more like 30" apart, which makes them 2" from the frame on each side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts