Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Gary (livindpsast) was nice enough to inform me about some road construction on Hwy 80 going East bound for all you pour folk trying to get to HAN's in Reno....Lucky for me, i will not have to deal with it since i live in Truckee....:)

But there is 2 alternative routes....

You can go over HWY 50 threw South Lake Tahoe to Reno and avoid Hwy 80 all together, or you are stuck on HWY 80

Now according the article Gary sent me, they are re-decking the bridge just before Cisco Grove, unfortunately the damage of backed up traffic will have already been done, but you can get off at the Cisco Grove exit, go to the top of the off ramp, take a left, go to the stop sign which is Old HWY 40 (before Hwy 80 was even built) take a right hand turn, and this will take you all the way into Donner Lake, and you can avoid all the stop and go traffic that you will be stuck in all the way down into Truckee.

Old Hwy 40 is a historic scenery by pass road, and I highly recommend it if you have never been on the old hwy before. It is a VERY beatiful and relaxing 2 lane road. It parallels hwy 80 for about 10 miles, then you will cross over the top of Hwy 80 again at the Soda Springs exit. You can actually look down on hwy 80 from the over pass, Hwy 80 also opens up into 3 lanes at the Soda Springs exit, so if traffic has finally cleared up, you can actually hop back onto Hwy 80 and keep heading into Reno. If it is still bumper to bumper traffic, just continue on Old Hwy 40, and it will drop you into the back side of Donner Lake , which will throw you back on Hwy 80 again.

There is plenty of photo ops along Hwy 40, and even if Hwy 80 is not bad with traffic, i personally still get off at the Cisco Grove exit and take the old Hwy all the way back into Truckee just for the piece and quit and the BEAUTIFUL SCENERY that Old Hwy 40 has to offer...

This picture was actually taken at the Donner Lake over look on one of my trips back home from a bowtie-trifive get together in Pleasanton...

Good luck guys, and i hope you all have a safe trip to Reno and back home again...

Rick

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Thanks, Rick. This is really helpful. I'm coming up from Petaluma, through Sacto (silver BMW, sadly). I'll look around for you in Reno.

David

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Rick. This is really helpful. I'm coming up from Petaluma, through Sacto (silver BMW, sadly). I'll look around for you in Reno.

David
Glad to help Dave :shakehands:

I know allot of traveler's do not know about the Old Hwy 40 Route, i guess you could say it is a locals secret :creep:... but a couple of extra bowtie-trifive members and there Tri Fives are not going to hurt anything :)

When i was still driving tow truck, if i had a tow call some were on the summit during the winter time, i would go up Old 40 to bypass and go around all the tourists putting there chains on, and of-course the 2 mile back up because of the chain control check point, but trust when i say Old 40 is not for the faint of heart in the winter time, there were times even in my tow truck with chains on all 4 corners i was wondering if i was going to make it myself, needles to say Old 40 is always the last road to get plowed, but in the summer time, it is just a Gorgeous road to travel on....

Rick

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
50 is a bit slower, but a much nicer drive. We went that way a few years back and over Mt Rose and down into Reno. This route scared the heck out of me coming down from Mt Rose, twisting and turning and hard on the brakes when you chasing a Nomad on a Corvette suspension:sign0020:

We will decide as a group on Tuesday morning when we head out of Pleasanton, but I'm leaning on Hwy 50 to 395. I hate stopped traffic:confused0006:

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
50 is a bit slower, but a much nicer drive. We went that way a few years back and over Mt Rose and down into Reno. This route scared the heck out of me coming down from Mt Rose, twisting and turning and hard on the brakes when you chasing a Nomad on a Corvette suspension:sign0020:

We will decide as a group on Tuesday morning when we head out of Pleasanton, but I'm leaning on Hwy 50 to 395. I hate stopped traffic:confused0006:
I cant say i blame ya Randy 50 is nice and pretty also.......and Mt rose is NOT that bad, i drive it with 80,000 pounds on my butt chasing the Nomad :sign0020: Actually in all reality I have been driving Mt Rose since 1981 and no matter how you slice it, it SUCKS!!!

But hey!!! if it was me in your car, i would go Hwy 80 so i COULD get stuck in traffic and TEST YOUR NEW SPAL FAN :sign0020:

Rick

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
old40

Hey Rick,I have driven old 40 in the Nomad, Great drive, decent road for the classics. See you in reno, ( Imight hook up with you in Truckee as staying there with daughter. pm your cell # Has Randy & Bay area boys decided on the A&W?? dick

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rick I am going over Spooner to get to Reno!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
i think that is the best route for you Jeff..

and bye the way, would you buy Scotty a C.B. for his big rig so i can B.S. with him going up and down 50, the sign language we use sucks :sign0020:

Hey Rick,I have driven old 40 in the Nomad, Great drive, decent road for the classics. See you in reno, ( Imight hook up with you in Truckee as staying there with daughter. pm your cell # Has Randy & Bay area boys decided on the A&W?? dick
Looking forward too seeing you Dick :shakehands:

Give me a call when you get to your daughters house, I am not sure what time i will be coming back home form HAN's on Saturday night, and i know i will not be going down on Sunday, maybe we can do lunch or breakfast on Sunday.

Here is all the info you need to know about the meet & great at A&W on Friday http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107706

Rick

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hey Rick, comming back from Reno today I stopped in Truckee for a bite to eat, I remembered you talking about this alternate route,so I did a search on my smart phone and looked it up... I took old Highway 40 down the mountain and what a beautiful drive it is...thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Rick, comming back from Reno today I stopped in Truckee for a bite to eat, I remembered you talking about this alternate route,so I did a search on my smart phone and looked it up... I took old Highway 40 down the mountain and what a beautiful drive it is...thanks a lot.
Glad you liked it Larry!!!!
So are the trees turning colors yet along Old 40? i know a couple of my smaller Aspens are turning yellow and starting to drop there leaves.....not a good sign when they start this yearly in the year...:(

Rick

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Larry, we had to take that route year before last when we went up to Rick's for the Truckee get-to-gether. That's when John Foppe's alternator bracket broke and we had to limp along. Nice drive indeed. Judy especially liked it as she does not like the freeway. :(

Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts