Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question I am doing my First time total floor and rocker replacement on my 1955 Chevy bel air sedan 4 door. My rockers are so far gone I am wonder if there are any hidden piece that I might be missing. Are there pieces inside the rockers, any braces or things like that? I have the lower rear fender to rocker panel bracket w/ front outer rocker panel insert set. Thanks

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys! Your photos will come in handy! I attached photos of my car. As you can see by the photos, most of the rockers are gone. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything missing from those areas. Seems I only need the brace you spoke of. I have my work cut out for me but it will be a learning experience and I am sure filled with fun and anger hahaha.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
I recently replaced my floor pan and rockers. My suggestion would be to buy a one piece pan with floor braces attached and inner rockers attched. I spent a whole lot of time adding floor braces and messing with the inner rocker alignment. Then it becomes a whole lot easier to line up and attach the outer rocker. From your photos...you'll need the dog leg looking pieces that attach from the right and left lower front post. They weld in AFTER you place the pan in. make sure you build a cage inside to prevent the body from collapsing when you cut the floor out. Before welding ANYTHING make sure your door gaps are good to the body shell. Using a cut off wheel and a 4 1/2" grinder will become your best friend. Use a mask...rust dust isnt a good thing to breath.

These are pretty good. I've seen a few guys use these since my project with good reviews.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1957-C...ash=item4d16e9fa24:g:qPEAAOSwMmBVw5Zc&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! Yeah after reading a bunch of other posts on here I decided to go open piece with braces which I already have now. Seemed the best way to go with the damage I have.

So rocker and dog legs after floor is in you think? Okay I will keep that in mind. I bought all my sheet metal and will be ready to start soon.

I am just making sure I have all my area covered and after going over the car for the 10th time I just wanna make sure there are no little hidden small pieces I might be missing. I do have a cage built inside the car out of 2x2 square tubbing I had laying around. :gba:

I recently replaced my floor pan and rockers. My suggestion would be to buy a one piece pan with floor braces attached and inner rockers attched. I spent a whole lot of time adding floor braces and messing with the inner rocker alignment. Then it becomes a whole lot easier to line up and attach the outer rocker. From your photos...you'll need the dog leg looking pieces that attach from the right and left lower front post. They weld in AFTER you place the pan in. make sure you build a cage inside to prevent the body from collapsing when you cut the floor out. Before welding ANYTHING make sure your door gaps are good to the body shell. Using a cut off wheel and a 4 1/2" grinder will become your best friend. Use a mask...rust dust isnt a good thing to breath.

These are pretty good. I've seen a few guys use these since my project with good reviews.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1957-C...ash=item4d16e9fa24:g:qPEAAOSwMmBVw5Zc&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
526 Posts
That's pretty rough but certainly fixable. By all means, a one-piece floor is the way to go. You'll spend way, way more time trying to save bits of original floor than it's worth. I did. It was a pain.

You'll probably spend time either repairing the bottom of the rear wheel houses or replacing them. Trunk floor- might end up replacing bottom of sidewall where it meets the trunk floor.

How is the trunk floor? It may be worth replacing that too, given that the cab floor is all shot to heck. If it's mostly OK, you'll still have to replace the last few inches of floor where it curves down to meet the rear bumper. The rear trunk-opening doglegs might need attention and the metal underneath the tail fins at the trunk floor, too.

The trunk tail pan and brace is probably shot. Look at the trunk lid, the outer sheet metal corresponding to the brace work underneath. Moisture and stuff gets trapped in the bracing and can rust through the outer panel.

Toe boards in front likely need attention. Look too, at the bottom of the cowl and check the "A" pillars and windshield opening, areas also prone to rust-thru. Keep posting pics and questions. We're here to help.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great info! Yes I bought a one piece pan with braces and inner rocker. I figured it would be best to replace it all.

To be honest after crawling and looking in all the little nooks and crannies. The truck pan and braces all look solid. All my window channels look good minus the rear top corner.

I will check the other area again just to make sure. Seemed solid to me but I will check it out.

Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours! :gba:

That's pretty rough but certainly fixable. By all means, a one-piece floor is the way to go. You'll spend way, way more time trying to save bits of original floor than it's worth. I did. It was a pain.

You'll probably spend time either repairing the bottom of the rear wheel houses or replacing them. Trunk floor- might end up replacing bottom of sidewall where it meets the trunk floor.

How is the trunk floor? It may be worth replacing that too, given that the cab floor is all shot to heck. If it's mostly OK, you'll still have to replace the last few inches of floor where it curves down to meet the rear bumper. The rear trunk-opening doglegs might need attention and the metal underneath the tail fins at the trunk floor, too.

The trunk tail pan and brace is probably shot. Look at the trunk lid, the outer sheet metal corresponding to the brace work underneath. Moisture and stuff gets trapped in the bracing and can rust through the outer panel.

Toe boards in front likely need attention. Look too, at the bottom of the cowl and check the "A" pillars and windshield opening, areas also prone to rust-thru. Keep posting pics and questions. We're here to help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.