Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this question has been asked before. I need to replace the inner and outer rocker panels on my 57 2 door ht. I been looking for info and found rustbucket, Then I asked myself, there must be steps you have to take to replace the rockers. If any one can help with info it I would be greatful. I did restore a 57 in the past but I was lucky,all the car needed was a new passengerside door.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Moneypit
There are some precautions you will want to take, one will be making sure the car is sitting level and adding some bracing in the door jam right above the rocker area to make it more table as you begin to cut away reinforcement. And as always take lots of measurements before you take anything apart.

When removing spot welds I like to grind them with a cut off wheel right in the area of the weld untill I see the bottom layer that it is attach to . As you are grinding I try to keep the wheel at an angle so it dose more direct grinding than cutting.
Now the reason for this is if you drill the spot wels out you end up with a hole in the panel you are going to apply the new panel too.
I myself like to be able to put the new holes were I want them instead of were the old ones might have been. Some factory spotwelds can be very close to to the edge of the panel and cause burn threw and additional repair.
If you have any additional questions please ask . :)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Your illustrations are a million times better than photos! Not to mention how important it is to keep your pencil warm! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts