Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've gotten further in the project. I sanded down the rockers and the driverside has a couple of pencil size holes with the same on the inner. The passenger side has a hole the about fist size with a matching hole on the inner.
I hadn't planned on replacing them because I though they were solid. Can I just cut out these bad sections and piece new metal in? Or is this asking for trouble because if there are bad sections already showing there are more lurking that will show up after a few years?
Should I just bite the bullet and replace the rockers?

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
rockers

Hey Steve. That's exactly what I did with my rockers. Both inner and outer had a little cancer so I cut those areas out and treated everything else while it was open, then welded matching profile pieces from a new rocker I had. I know the purists will tell you to replace the whole thing and if you have the skills you probably should do it that way. I don't---so I didn't. :) :anim_25: JIM.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Steve, I agree with Jim. If you have the skills... and the $$$ it is best to replace the rockers. But like Jim, I didn't have the skills, nor did I have the $$$ when me and my Dad did our build so we did numerous patch repairs such as this on our '57 and it turned out just fine. :anim_25:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim,
Have you seen any evidence of problems resurfacing?
These are all new skills. I've never done a Tri-Five before nor have I done this kind of metal work but I'm not afraid to do what it takes.

Steve

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Jim,
These are all new skills. I've never done a Tri-Five before nor have I done this kind of metal work but I'm not afraid to do what it takes.

Steve
Steve, My '57 has been on the road since '08 and painted since '07 and have not seen any signs of rust resurfacing. Note: I do drive my car. :happy0030:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
rockers

Jim,

Steve
Steve, I did mine a little over a year ago and see no evidence at all of a problem. I also put a couple floor pieces in like this and see no issues. I was careful to eliminate and/or neutralize any rust I could get to while things were "open". Get a good primer on stuff right away too. Keep us posted on your progress. My car isn't on the road yet but maybe someone else can chime-in here for you. JIM.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll start by cutting out the rusted areas that I can see. Maybe that will allow me to see enough of the inside to make a decision if I have to do a complete replacement.

Steve

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update pictures

Hi all. So I decided to replace the inner and outer rockers after all. I hated to think that they would continue to rust through after the car was painted. I'm glad that I made this decision because once I cut the old ones out I saw how bad they really were.

Here are a few pictures of the completed rockers. You can see I had to make a piece to repair the inner rear quarter above the floor.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hi all. So I decided to replace the inner and outer rockers after all. I hated to think that they would continue to rust through after the car was painted. I'm glad that I made this decision because once I cut the old ones out I saw how bad they really were.

Here are a few pictures of the completed rockers. You can see I had to make a piece to repair the inner rear quarter above the floor.

Steve
That's a good choice. Thay are always ALOT worse than they look on the outside!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a good choice. Thay are always ALOT worse than they look on the outside!
That was definitely what I was afraid of and it was what I found. If I had left them, and just did some patchwork, the rust would've shown up again in no time.
I was a little worried because I have never done work like this before, but I read a lot of the metal working posts and took my time. I lined up the bodylines with the doors and they came out great! I'm so glad I went this direction! I want to do the car once, the right way!

Steve

·
Registered
243 Posts
We've all heard the saying"do it right the first time".And with the cost of paint and primers nows the time to do it right.My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
That was definitely what I was afraid of and it was what I found. If I had left them, and just did some patchwork, the rust would've shown up again in no time.
I was a little worried because I have never done work like this before, but I read a lot of the metal working posts and took my time. I lined up the bodylines with the doors and they came out great! I'm so glad I went this direction! I want to do the car once, the right way!

Steve
It is a little intimidating at first. I've leaned to think of it as jig saw puzzle. Just use some common sense and you're good to go!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts