Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my '55 out of my detached garage last Wednesday and got a surprise. A family of mice have taken up residence above my headliner, this in itself wasn't the biggest disappointment, the nesting materials that they've used is the headliner fabric! I now have a half dozen holes ranging in size from about 1/4" to 1" diameter.

Not that I haven't taken precautions... I've got several dryer sheets and the little fragrant trees all over the interior, including the trunk. I didn't want to use poison because I don't like stinking little mouse corpses in the car (I've been there.... and done that!).

Not wanting the problem to escalate, I set a mouse trap (no comments from PITA, please).. I decided to try to lure the mice away with food and drink. I started with a 3 gallon pail and added a smear of peanut butter about 3 inches down from the top lip (I hope the little buggers aren't allergic to peanuts), then poured about 1-1/2 inches of water into the bottom. Since it freezes here in Minnesota, I added enough antifreeze to keep their drink in a liquid state.

Well, on Thursday morning I found that two mice did indeed get thirsty after eating peanut butter and went for the drink. Darn it... I think the poor little buggers must have drowned??? I forgot to remove that pail and guess what? Four more mice did the same thing on Saturday night!

·
Registered
68,758 Posts
very smart, great idea. :tu....................maybe some moth-balls over the winter. :confused0006:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our '55 is a Club Coupe, but has a modified BelAir interior. I was planning on upgrading the interior next year or maybe the year after, but it looks like the mice are forcing me to do it early.

I do have a few of the sonic pest controls devices and last winter, I had one inside the car, too. The problem with the sonic devices is that the waves are 'muffled' and are made less effective when fabric is encountered. This is stated on the packaging.

In any case, I intend to provide food and drink to the little guys from this point on. In the spring I'll change the antifreeze mix from ethylene-glycol to propylene-glycol to protect the dogs and cats should they get into the garage.

Since the peanutbutter-in-the-pail method is so effective, I'll need to check it often. I don't want the live ones to use the dead ones as springboards.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Know how you feel. I had put rat poison traps setting on the garage floor. Ever time I checked them they were empty within a couple of days. At that point I started to wonder if I had something bigger in the garage than a mouse. I was cleaning out the inside of the car. I removed the seat covers and there was the poison. I guess they saving it for latter. Got mouse traps know.

·
Registered
247 Posts
After finding dog food in my frame I put snap traps in the garage. I havent got anything yet, but also no signs of mice. I heard if you sprinkle bird seed on top of a 5 gal. pail half full with water the mice love that, they can eat and swim till they are dead.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
No rodents here..

At least not in the shop...:sign0020:

And no, this is NOT a rubber snake. It's my 6' black rat snake, Slippery..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
STONED AGAIN

BB3439 ; sounds a lot like the sand / booze cure to me . You pour 2 ounces of whiskey on a cookie sheet with a handful of sand around the edges . The mice drink the whiskey and then start a fight , throwing rocks at each other till there's nobody left standing . Sound like a pub near you ? Bob

·
Registered
985 Posts
I just blew this shot up, nice and big, and put a couple of copies 'round the garage...won't need traps or snakes or nuthin' :sign0020:!

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
And STINK! My Dad always says: "if they was as big as an elephant, you couldn't stand to be around them."
It's hard to be around them, or where they've been even at their normal size.
I use the dessicating mouse poision. They eat then go out to drink and never make it back inside.
Or they don't make it out, but the stuff dries them up to the point they don't stink...as much.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I'm with Jeff...........we use a product called Gopher mix. It's a green colored seed, with poison. The little guys love it, once. If they can't get out they die and dry up, no smell. Can only find it on line, and my wife told me last time she bought it that they will only ship to certain states now.

·
Registered
941 Posts
One time I had a darn rat take up residence in my shop. I tried for a couple of weeks to catch that sucker, he kept stealing the bait from the rat trap. I finally learned from an elderly person to wrap the bait in an old piece of nylon stocking, and wire it to the trap, they get their teeth caught in the nylon and then you got 'em. When I did finally catch this big guy he was running around in the shop with that rat trap around his head. BIG RAT......

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If you really want to rid yourself of these pesky rodents, this is what you need to purchase and put around your shops, even inside. You load this containers with HAVOC XT blocks, they will eat this and go die outside. I've had these for a couple of years now and I no longer have problems. I have about a dozen of these scattered between my two metal shops and on my carport. We use to be infested with these critters especially during the winter months; we no longer have a rodent problem. Purchased these units at my local feed store. They WORK!!!!!

Here is a link that tells you about the product. http://www.neogen.com/AnimalSafety/pdf/ProdInfo/Rodenticide/HavocXTTechSheet.pdf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.