Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other then longevity and replacement price, is there any benefit to be had by converting the ball-type front wheel bearing to the tapered roller-type?

My ball bearings are in good shape and I don't want go through the added expense of a conversion if there is no other benefit. I would imagine the ball bearings have less resistance than the roller bearings anyway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not 100% positive, but I think I was told that it takes alot of play out of the front end. Do it along with the manual rack roller bearing upgrade, and the front end can be pretty square.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
You've pretty much nailed it, they last longer and are cheaper.

The only other reason to switch is that most disc brake conversions use them if you go that way.

Late model RWD cars and trucks are back to ball bearings because of lower rolling resistance, at least that's my opinion. They use a factory assembled and preloaded hub assembly that's not serviceable. And because of that, replacement prices are scary high.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Ball bearings need to be set tighter than tapered roller bearings. Ball bearings will quickly fail without sufficient preload. Ball bearings should also be serviced (greased) more often than roller bearings. The Shop Manual recommends greasing the front wheel ball bearings every 10,000 miles.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,846 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
30 years ago I did an article for Corvette people about the advantages of going to tapered rollers, then Chevy guys rewrote the article . Takes away road play using original or repro tires and last longer ( better load) and using your original hubs, because people were buying different hub assy $$$ to use them. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats got to be one of the coolest web sites I've seen in a long time. That will answer a lot of future questions. Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts