Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all sbc, one piece rear seal, motors roller cam compatible?

·
52,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good chart Randy :tu I know Chevy started one-piece rear seal in 86.....I was wanting to know if the blocks were also cast to run roller cams as well, even if they had a flat tappet cam.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Are all sbc, one piece rear seal, motors roller cam compatible?

Now if you are asking which blocks are set up for the factory roller cams there are some of the 86 and 87 blocks that are not set up for the spider as most of truck engines used hyd. fat tappet cams. Some fof the early one peice seal blocks the lifter bores were counter bored and no set up for the spider.

I am thinking 88 and up were all set up for the GM roller cams

·
52,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How 'bout an 86 Corvete TPI motor?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Also some blocks that are set up for the spider are not drilled and tapped for it...

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
That would be roller cam motor I think. TPIs are usually roller, TBIs are flat.
I could be wrong but, to my recollection, roller cams didn't start until '88 for TPIs.

·
Registered
37,985 Posts
Not sure either, but I thought the first year for rollers was earlier.

I think that DS' reply is correct - some blocks are not drilled for the spider bolts. A bigger question is can they be.

·
52,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure either, but I thought the first year for rollers was earlier.

I think that DS' reply is correct - some blocks are not drilled for the spider bolts. A bigger question is can they be.
Also, I believe the lifter bores would have to be higher in the valley.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
I did some research and it looks like the first year for roller cams was 1987. Even though Corvette TPIs changed to aluminum heads in mid-year 1986, those motors were still not equipped with roller cams. Also from what I have read, it appears that all 1987 and up blocks are roller capable.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I believe that if you guys did into it a little deeper you will find that roller cams did not come Chevy trucks until the Vortec moter of 96.

·
Registered
37,985 Posts
I do think that was mentioned. The question is whether the the TBI truck block is cast and/or machined for roller lifters.

I think that if I was looking for a core to build and wanted to use a roller cam, I'd be pulling the intake and having a look - then there would be no question, you could see for yourself.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I do think that was mentioned. The question is whether the the TBI truck block is cast and/or machined for roller lifters.

I think that if I was looking for a core to build and wanted to use a roller cam, I'd be pulling the intake and having a look - then there would be no question, you could see for yourself.
That is what I would do since I have cores both ways, and I personally own injected trucks with 2 piece rear mains & left hand dipsticks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts