Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interior is coming up in September (4 month wait at Ciadella) and I want suggestions for roof insulation. I'm building a patina wagon, this 2-door 210 wagon baked to a lovely golden maroon in Tucson, AZ and the old ceiling insulation just came off in a rain of dust with a 4" plastic drywall knife.

What to use under that new headliner? Need it to stay put even in 110F Arizona degrees. The roof is a dark, lovely, natural maroon patina, the inside of the roof (ceiling?) is clean and dry, I'm just concerned about adhesives turning to goo and letting loose in the heat....

Thanks for any ideas Gents. Hunter

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I used Hushmat, and here in the hot Texas summer after eight years it's still in place and holding well. It's a good product and I can tell you when you start to apply it (adhesive backed butyl rubber) you better be right the first time 'cause it ain't coming off. They tell you to pre-cut the pieces in strips you can handle for best results.
There are several other products (Dynamat for one) and some that offer "kits" with pre-cut pieces - other folks will probably chime in with their experiences.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Roof was cleaned then spray painted with Rustoleum thinned with 50%
Acetone.

Insulation is Frost King duct insulation it is sticky back closed cell foam about 1/8 thickness, also have it on the firewall, under the dash, on the cargo area floor including inner wheel houses & the spare tire well. After install I rolled it with a small wooden roller I found in the kitchen. Installed it 3 years ago no issues & no headliner yet. Tape is for HVAC about 8 bux a roll. Insulation is 12" X 15' in a roll so 15 sq ft cost is about 21.00 a roll @ Home Depot. Did a temp test last year with a pyrometer results are here somewhere I don't have a link to it.

Found the link with the temp test see post #7 here:
https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209122&highlight=frost+king

jpg.gif 5-17-2.JPG (129.4 KB)
jpg.gif 5-17-5.JPG (130.1 KB) 5-17-2.JPG

5-17-5.JPG

·
Administrator
48,448 Posts
I used a jute style insulation with foil on one side. Glued it up there with the same contact cement i use to recover headliners. It works pretty good here in the Texas heat.

Terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts