Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at published design features of several rotisseries, both commercial and homemade ones, then boiled it all down and came up with this version. It is based mostly on the MP&C design and I certainly want them to get all the credit due them for their original design. I opted not to add hydraulic jacks, adjusting rods, roller bearings, etc. because I believe that by the time you buy all of those components you could just as well buy a commercial unit that already has all of those features. If you decide to build your own rotisserie, no matter whose design you use, be aware that the welds are crucial as far as strength is concerned. Poorly welded rotisseries could fail and damage your vehicle as well as potentially harming someone. I haven't built this one myself yet, so if anyone opts to build it before I do, I would certainly want to hear from you. This may be a winter project for me. btw - you will want to grease the pivot head.

Attachments

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,072 Posts
I looked at published design features of several rotisseries, both commercial and homemade ones, then boiled it all down and came up with this version. It is based mostly on the MP&C design and I certainly want them to get all the credit due them for their original design. I opted not to add hydraulic jacks, adjusting rods, roller bearings, etc. because I believe that by the time you buy all of those components you could just as well buy a commercial unit that already has all of those features. If you decide to build your own rotisserie, no matter whose design you use, be aware that the welds are crucial as far as strength is concerned. Poorly welded rotisseries could fail and damage your vehicle as well as potentially harming someone. I haven't built this one myself yet, so if anyone opts to build it before I do, I would certainly want to hear from you. This may be a winter project for me. btw - you will want to grease the pivot head.
Looks like a good design. I see one weak point. I would make part # 2 longer and add some gussets between #1 and #2. When the body is on it's side the weight is on the #1 arms, side loading them. #20 supports it upright, but not side ways.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,887 Posts
I don't see a jack as necessary, as there's no reason to change the height once the body is mounted properly for rotation. It's just something else that cost $, adds weight, and could fail and cost more $...

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I don't see a jack as necessary, as there's no reason to change the height once the body is mounted properly for rotation. It's just something else that cost $, adds weight, and could fail and cost more $...
I counter with a jack is madatory if you actually plan on working on your vehicle while it is on the rotiserie . I roll it to the position I need and raise or lower it to get access to the areas being worked on. I lower it most of the time over a foot once it is clocked to the needed set.

Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Naval architecture Asphalt Road surface Automotive exterior Composite material

Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Here is the 'rotisserie' (roll over frame) that I used... simple, made it in a weekend, and have used it for 30 yrs and no need to adjust 'height' once the surface I'm working on it rotated into position...

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some one must have published the plans for that roll over because I have one almost identical to it. The main issue I see is that it only rolls one way. Also, the longitudinal braces are in the way. That's one good thing about the rotisseries - they offer good accessibility (that's two big words if you are counting). I have thought about adding mounting flanges on the opposite sides of the end frames so you can reverse it and roll it over the in the opposite direction.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Grandpa! You only need to rotate the car 90 deg (in either direction) to get complete access to both the top and bottom of the car! Yes, the plans were published by the NNC in the Nomad Post back in the 70's or 80's... The roll center is perfect for the C.G. of a Nomad!

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
It looks like it would be difficult to use inside a paint booth.
Not really, although in my fairly narrow paint booth, I have to 'scoot' it to one side, rotate it, then scoot it back to the center... but how many times does one need to do that inside their paint booth? It 'scoots' (or slides) hard metal on concrete pretty easily...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had no problem rolling the car over but I struggled rolling it back. I think that if the casters were removed it would have rolled back easily. And like I said earlier about the rollover, it covers too much of the car and the braces are in the way. It really wouldn't be too hard to relocate the braces. It would be ideal for painting the roof but it would be in the way when painting the sides and especially the firewall. That is not to say that it lacks total merit. It is going to be very useful to me when I get back to work on the body and finish the floor panel welds. I won't have to lie on my back or stand on my head or anything. It certainly has it's uses. A rotisserie would be more versatile.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
The NNC plans published did not include casters, but I wanted to be able to move mine around. When I mounted the casters, I mounted them to the inner side of the 'roll cage' so that the casters wheels would only be 1/2-1" under the frame which minimized the 'extra effort' required to roll it back up. My 100 lb wife could roll mine up or back with the bare Nomad body on it.

PS. If you were 'static' in the paint booth for painting the sides, you could remove the long longitudinal members without a problem (two bolts/nuts each), although I mounted the one on one side just below the rocker, and the alternate on midway of the window pillars, so not much of the sides are bothered at all when painting/sanding/etc...

The MAIN advantage of the roll-over frame I built is the minimal storage space it takes up when not in use, AND the speed and low cost of construction!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It does have it's advantages. I should relocate my casters as you did. That's the way it was when I bought it. It really isn't very stabile even with the braces on but with it bolted to the firewall it isn't going to fall. I am a little concerned about the frame bolted to the rear. The only thing keeping it from folding over is the stiffness of the rear support brace on the body. I thought about adding one more brace up at the high point with perhaps two bolts in each end to make it more stabile. BTW, Most 100 pound women can maneuver a 200 pound man with their little finger.

What area of Alabama are you in? I am on the west side just about 2/3's of the way up the AL-MS state line.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,521 Posts
It does have it's advantages. I should relocate my casters as you did. That's the way it was when I bought it. It really isn't very stabile even with the braces on but with it bolted to the firewall it isn't going to fall. I am a little concerned about the frame bolted to the rear. The only thing keeping it from folding over is the stiffness of the rear support brace on the body. I thought about adding one more brace up at the high point with perhaps two bolts in each end to make it more stabile. BTW, Most 100 pound women can maneuver a 200 pound man with their little finger.

What area of Alabama are you in? I am on the west side just about 2/3's of the way up the AL-MS state line.
He's one of those Huntsville guys... LOL.. You should see his collection! I have. When I think of his collection, I giggle like a schoolboy.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I'm in between Huntsville and Athens, but I grew up in Florence, and went thru Vernon on AL-17 many times going to/fro Florence and Keesler AFB... :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did one of our three traffic lights ever catch you? I've got a daughter (and her family) out past St. Florain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts