Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed a set of hinges for my 57 to route and hide the wires for power windows, locks and anything else that would be wired in the doors. Doing this brings the wires from the kick panel area into the inner door through the lower door hinge. The wire tunneled passage is about 1/2 inch deep and a little less than the thickness of the hinge. Thought I'd share pics of process. If I do say so myself, they turned out super! Below are a some pics of how they were made and finished the product. I trial passed 5 wires through and could get few more. Anyone who would like to have theirs done - PM me. :bowtier:

Hinge marked for cut

Cutting Hinge

Start of Weld

Completed Weld

Inside Hinge being finish ground

Outside of Hinge being finish ground

Completed Hinge primered without wires

Completed Hinge showing wires running through Hinge

Again, if someone would like a set of these hinges, give me a PM.

Thanks, Fuzz

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
Nice job on the hinge. I took a different approach, milling out the slot and then putting a filler piece on top( actually the bottom. Do not use the lower spring plate as it will quickly wear into the filler strip. For the 3rd brake light I used one of these bullet connectors, Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
My friend who 50's customed a 57 Caddy Coupe Deville, nicely done mind you, did the same thing but he did it for the door poppers so there was no need for door handles. Something must have cut the plastic coating around one of the wires because as he had popped the passenger door, I opened it with an electrical shock that made my arm do lots of involentry things. Just have someone else test your electrics first. It is a great idea that done right looks like it came from the factoury like that.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hotrodder,

The tri-five hinges, I think, were overbuilt which makes my fabrication still very functional in that it should not compromise the way the doors operate. It isn't like half the hinge was cut off and left off. The bottom 1/2 inch part that is cut away is replaced with steel which helps replace some of the very little strength lost. After considering many ways to do, this was what I felt to be the best way with only using a welder. These will route the wires without being seen and keep them safe and sound.
Fuzz

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hotrodder,

Very nice. Do you do your own machine work and have your own machine?

Fuzz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts