Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used those rubber doughnuts under the coil spring in the lower control arms to dampen harshness?

Oem sway bars are 7/8" if i'm not mistaken. What would be a good thickness for the frt & rear on a daily driver.

Has anyone used a steering quickener on a tri-fives's stock manual steering on the street?

Thanks Guys.

:gba:

·
Registered
67,683 Posts
had 7/8 on a 55 I had, were fine. :anim_25:

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,705 Posts
All I can comment about is the front anti-sway (roll) bar. I put a 1" one on a month or so ago and I still can't get over how well it works without affecting ride comfort. One particular highway off ramp I can't help pushing it a little faster each time around the loop. It is really hard to understand why a part that helps the handling so so much wasn't made a stock item from the factory. I'm so happy with it that I can't help thinking that a 7/8" wouldn't be as good. I'm going to put one on the rear also but that will be 7/8" since that is what's available. After a ride last Sunday with the girlfriend, around that same off ramp she was also completely amazed at how well it works. She said "it doesn't feel like the same car, it's almost like how a modern car handles." Go for the 1" one!

·
Registered
37,219 Posts
Tony why not a 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" bar? Both are available.

I've never heard of anyone putting a front sway bar on their and saying it was too big.

On the rubber spacers under the springs, I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference from using a steel spacer of similar or slightly less thickness. On the other hand it might be a good choice compared to using a stiffer spring to get the same ride height. To me, nearly all the spring choices are useful to someone.

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Tony why not a 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" bar? Both are available.

I've never heard of anyone putting a front sway bar on their and saying it was too big.
I had thought those sizes were the more expensive tubular bars but now I see all of them aren't. I didn't get into the larger tubular ones due to the cost. So I guess I'll suggest the largest you can afford.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had thought those sizes were the more expensive tubular bars but now I see all of them aren't. I didn't get into the larger tubular ones due to the cost. So I guess I'll suggest the largest you can afford.
Good point. What brand are you running Tony, Hellwigs?

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Good point. What brand are you running Tony, Hellwigs?

No I'm on a tight budget. I think it was made by Addco. I don't think there is a whole lot of high tech with sway bars, unless you are getting into the tubular ones. It's just a steel bar with a few bends in it to fit your car. It came from Performance Online with a special shipping discount. Right now they have free shipping on orders over $250, wish I would have known that then. Order front and rear now and it will be $260 total.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Somebody here went to the wrecking yard and found third gen camaro bars fit pretty well. They come in a bunch of diameters. As to tech on sway bars, diameter and arm length are the things to consider.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Somebody here went to the wrecking yard and found third gen camaro bars fit pretty well. They come in a bunch of diameters. As to tech on sway bars, diameter and arm length are the things to consider.
Excellent, and there is plenty of 3rd gens in yards. I was thinking the same thing, thought that perhaps some modern, light-truck models might have something that could work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts