Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have never started the engine and there are no bolts in the powerglide converter to flex-plate at present can I start the engine without doing damage to the transmisssion? I was thinking it might be easier to isolate problems on the start up such as noises or whatever. On the other hand I don't want to risk damage to the flex-plate or transmission. Has anyone had experience with this?

·
Administrator
49,484 Posts
If the torque converter is pushed all the way into the trans it could be started without a lot of noise from the torque converter banging against the flywheel. You do have to be careful since the torque converter can vibrate forward during running and cause problems.
Terry

·
Registered
770 Posts
Pull the converter or make darn sure the converter hub is completely clear of the crank. I had mine pushed back into the trans and safety wired during break and somehow the hub caught the crank and spun during break in. Destroyed the trans pump seal, I got lucky, but had to pull the trans again to get it fixed.

Phil

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to bolt the flex-plate to the converter and in the process discovered that the flex-plate in the car is slightly different than the extra one that came
with an extra 67 327 engine that came with the car. The extra flex-plate was lying on the crank flange but not bolted on to the extra engine. Both have the pie shaped holes only the extra one had six holes, one at each leg, were the one in the car has just three holes to bolt every other leg to the converter. Would anyone know when that change was made? I'm assuming the one that was with the 67 engine was the original 57 plate and the one in the car now was taken off the 67 engine but can't be sure. It may help explain why I'm having a problem getting the starter drive gear to engage the flex-plate.
Thoughts appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts