Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I realize you are all handicapped by the fact that you can't see what I'm talking about, but here goes. I bought my car already painted, with what seems like a very nice, but older paint job. In certain areas, I can see what appears to be a slight raise in the paint, in a weird pattern. These ares are in a few random places in the fenders, doors and quarters, and are never bigger than a quarter. The paint is not bubbling, cracking or otherwise distressed in these areas...just seemingly raised slightly. Is there any way to know what's under there and causing it...rust, or an amateur filler job? YOur thoughts, observations and experience are welcome. Sorry, but you'll have to go by that marvellous description without a photo. I'm not sure a photo would even show up. Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is there anything on the back side of the metal where these spots are? Some of what I think you are describing existed on my 57 as well. After the blasting it turned out to be bad paint but in most cases it was a dent with a bad repair job.

What is the big plan for the car? Do you plan on blasting and starting from there?

DonC.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for th input so far. Here's the additional details. Frist, the spots I have noticed are not round, they are odd shaped, sometimes like a rectangle, or sometimes like a spider missing a few legs. The locations vary. Two are just below the lower stainless, below the aluminum "fin" insert. There is one on either side of the car. When I look into the wheel well from the back side, I see what appear to be original undercoating, and no rust. I have also seen one patch just behind the drivers door, mid height, in the area below the rear window (I have a 2 door sport coupe). However, this particular spot is the largest (half dollar) and it won't hold a refrigerator magnet. I have pressed on the areas pretty hard with my finger, and nothing happens...I was stupidly trying to see if it was a bubble, and it would break the paint. Anyhow, the car looks great, and one day it will be sanded down and made into more of a show piece, than a "showy driver" which is what I consider it now.

Does that help? Thanks for your help. By the way, the color, believe it or not, is pink, with a lot of pearl, making it somewhat purple in the right light. It does not have the aluminum inserts in the fin, but instead this areas was painted with a purple fade job, that goes from light purpole to dark, with the stripes painted in like on the aluminum insert. I'ts a pretty cool look, for a pink hot rod. It also has a 400 hp 350 and a 10 bolt posi rear end with 4:56 gears. It is insane off the line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts