Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 55 their is surface rust under the 5 layers of paint.I don't have a sandblaster.Is there an easier way to get down to bare metal?If you look in my pisc you will be able to see what i'm talking about.Any help would be great.:confused0006:

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
If it was me I would rent a compressor and a sand pot for a day and blast the car and frame. It will not take long to do everything. It will all expose any problem areas that are suspect. Once blasted you can prime the good areas, then prime as you repair. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
If you have a compressor you could buy an inexpensive DA (double action) sander from most of the low end tool outlet centers like Harbor freight. Sanding discs are available in a large selection of grits. Makes short work stripping the car to bare metal especially when doing sections at a time.

Don

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yep did this one

Sandblasting is good, if you becareful with sand type and preasure.

I had a simluar issue with my top. Da-ed the entire top with 80 grit (takes time.) However prime using eproxy SANDABLE primer then do body work. Remember you will sand alot of metal, take your time.............
Pig is me:D:tu

·
Registered
418 Posts
Personally I think sandblasting exterior body panels is insane in this day and age. If it's done incorrectly you can ruin the entire car and it will take alot of work just to get the waves/distortions out of the panels.
However media blasting is outstanding. I've taken a car to the blaster and about 3 hours and 500 dollars I was pulling my car home paint free. The other side was that I had completed body work with filler from about 15 yrs before and the filler was in fine shape so I didn't have to redo the work. and stripper method
Also if media blast was not an option for you I would do the DA and paint stripper method. I know there are cars that had/has sand blasting but it can be dicey.
Just my opinion
BobH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.